One problem solved, another one occured

Tobifant

Reaction score
So I just put on a brand new nut and saddle and set it up so the action is perfect for me and the intonation is nearly perfect too. I was fine with what I got until I played a while and noticed buzzing on frets 5 - 9 but only on my E-String. The others are good, even my wound G-string.
So what is going on with my Uke? A brand new set of strings is already installed, but it is still there. I'm really starting to become desperated, my local music stores aren't able to set up an Ukulele correctly, and it seems neither is me. So if anyone has any advices, as always, since it is not the first time im posting a thread of this kind, I will be thankful.

Before you go off and find a setup tech, try and flip the string a 180. This has worked for me in the past which probably has to do with the uneven stretching of the string. This may help you narrow down what is actually wrong. In one instance, I had buzzing on the frets 1 to 4. When I flipped it, the buzzing moved to frets 6 to 9. So I decide to use another string from a new set and it magically was buzz free. I assume it was because of the flaws in the eveness of the string when made or from uneven stretching. So now I always like to have a spare set of string nearby when these buzzes happen.

It could be that your new saddle is just a little too low (below the threshold of what that particular uke can handle). Its always a balance between what is the most comfortable string action and what is realistic for any given instrument. Leveling the frets is one way of coaxing a uke into working with a lower action. Essentially the frets are planed evenly flat (with the appropriate downgrade angle and proper relief) to allow the string to ring clearly when fretted without touching the fret in front of it. This is a somewhat tricky process, but unfortunately necessary on many ukuleles right out of the box.

Since it is only the E string, it could be an issue with the string itself, or it could be an inconsistency in the fretwork that just affects that one string more directly than the others. Its probably best to have an expert take a look and give you their opinion, but I would certainly change that string first before paying someone to check it out to eliminate that as a problem (or verify it I suppose). I doubt this would help though because you just put a new set on, but worth a try!

The fact that it started happening right after a nut/saddle change makes it seem most likely that there is a small fret issue that reared its ugly head when the saddle height was lowered past a certain threshold. One way to check this is to put a small shim (thin piece of material) under the saddle to slightly raise it and see if that fixes the buzz. If so you can either live with the compromise or start looking into having someone level the frets.

This is a very common issue, so don't let it stress you out. Even a fret dress is a minor repair (and should be fairly inexpensive) especially on a uke because most have a flat (not radiused) fretboard and take considerably less time and work to complete.

Hopefully its just a string issue!

Last edited:
Top Bottom