Getting past the third fret.

philrab66

Reaction score
Hi all
I have been playing a while mainly finger picking but have been struggling playing harder songs. The main reason not being comfortable making the move to venture up the fret board.
For anybody else in the same position I found Colin Tribes series of ukulele exams very helpful.

Book 1 starts right at the beginning and gets a little harder as you go. It has some fun songs to play and in each song you start to go further up the fretboard. What I do for practice most nights is I start at the beginning and work through the songs. They get easier and easier, you also get a dvd with very detailed explanations.

It has helped me so I thought I would share.
Phil.

Roy Sakuma's Encyclopedia of Ukulele Chords also helps greatly.

I've watched a lot of Colin Tribe's videos on youtube, but never seen this! Wonderful, thanks for sharing!

I would also like to say if you have a song you would liked tabbed out Colin will transcribe it for you for a small fee. I have had 2 done myself. You get a pdf , midi and he also does a tutorial on dvd of your song.

Roy Sakuma's Encyclopedia of Ukulele Chords also helps greatly.

Im the sort of person that needs something a bit more structured so I found it very helpful. I find just by looking at chords and going through them I soon lose interest.

Hi all
I have been playing a while mainly finger picking but have been struggling playing harder songs. The main reason not being comfortable making the move to venture up the fret board.
For anybody else in the same position I found Colin Tribes series of ukulele exams very helpful.

Book 1 starts right at the beginning and gets a little harder as you go. It has some fun songs to play and in each song you start to go further up the fretboard. What I do for practice most nights is I start at the beginning and work through the songs. They get easier and easier, you also get a dvd with very detailed explanations.

It has helped me so I thought I would share.
Phil.

This is exactly where I am and was contemplating starting yet another plea thread for help. But now I look less needy because you started the thread and embedded a great suggestion. Much appreciated!

Im the sort of person that needs something a bit more structured so I found it very helpful. I find just by looking at chords and going through them I soon lose interest.

You find songs you like, and then look in the book for chords up the neck and force yourself to play the song in those chords.

Very interesting.

Sakuma is the best, most efficient single source of chords that has been written or placed on the internet.

You only can retain so much in a given time....take it slowly....just like a song you learn...take it in sections first...

Top Bottom