Tension?

What's your Preferred Tension?

• A good stiff set, like my morning coffee!

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Nice and loose, easy on the fingers

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Juuuuuuust right

Votes: 34 50.0%

• Total voters

Jon Moody

Reaction score
In the process of dialing in these new sets of strings that we are currently working on over at GHS, the subject of tension has come up a couple of times. We all know the science behind string tension, but when it comes down to feel and what you prefer, it becomes more of a grey area.

So, what's your preference? Do you like a lower tension feeling set, or are you a fan of a nice stiff set of strings?

I like the heaviest strings that don't "clamp down" the sound of an ukulele. On most of my ukes this means something akin to Worth CH strings. My KoAloha, however, doesn't like such high tension and the clear fluorocarbon are too bright on my mango ukes.

I not only prefer the feel of higher tension strings, I find that generally they intonate better up the neck.

John

Are you guys workin with a different formulation other than nylon? Nylons tend to have a larger diameter than fluoros. Personally, I do like a higher tension string; I just think they ring better.

Last edited:
After some time on this forum, my guess is that you will need to produce three new lines to satisfy everyone.

So far the few votes are distributed evenly:
25% for loose, 25% for tight, and 25% each for two different meanings of "just right" ;)

Are you guys workin with a different formulation other than nylon? Nylons tend to have a larger diameter than fluoros. Personally, I do like a higher tension string; I just think they ring better.

Yeah, coming out with a line of fluoro that will be in addition to the nylon, as well as repackaging all of the uke strings for cohesion.

For finger picking and solo stuff, I am finding that I appreciate the higher tension strings as well.

For me the permissible tension depends on the string thickness and the action. I don't like high tension on a thin string (ever worse with high action). But, Higher tension on larger diameter strings, like Alohi strings, feels fine. High tension can also stress your uke.

I don't care for light tension strings, they get moved over the edge sometimes, and the volume can be low.

Usually, I prefer normal tension.

Yeah, coming out with a line of fluoro that will be in addition to the nylon, as well as repackaging all of the uke strings for cohesion.

For finger picking and solo stuff, I am finding that I appreciate the higher tension strings as well.
How far along are ya as far as testing goes?

How far along are ya as far as testing goes?

I think we have the soprano/concert set and the baritone set pretty well dialed in at this point. The tenor set is the only one giving us fits at this point. Someone brought up the idea of having a higher tension "fingerstyle" set as well as a lower, more average tension set. So we're kicking that idea around too.

Also, I'd like GHS to get a Low G dialed in as well, not only for my 5 string, but also to offer that as well.

I think we have the soprano/concert set and the baritone set pretty well dialed in at this point. The tenor set is the only one giving us fits at this point. Someone brought up the idea of having a higher tension "fingerstyle" set as well as a lower, more average tension set. So we're kicking that idea around too.

Also, I'd like GHS to get a Low G dialed in as well, not only for my 5 string, but also to offer that as well.
Are you also looking into wounds or will they be strictly non wound sets? Apologies for being a pest!

Are you also looking into wounds or will they be strictly non wound sets? Apologies for being a pest!

Hey, no problem at all! We're looking at wounds; the tenor set has a wound C and the baritone set is split 50/50 between fluoro and wound. Personally, this wound C on the tenor is pretty awesome; it doesn't stand out nearly as much as some other wound strings do in a set, but sits very nicely in the entire mix.

One more question and I'll be out of your hair . . . are there any plans for 6 and 8 string sets with the new formulation? I know GHS has an 8 string set available.

One more question and I'll be out of your hair . . . are there any plans for 6 and 8 string sets with the new formulation? I know GHS has an 8 string set available.

I'll have to ask; truthfully, I only started here on Monday (even though I'd been fiddling with the uke strings for three months now). At this point, I don't think so, but it's been brought up already and shouldn't be that hard to set up, once we get the others dialed in.

In the process of dialing in these new sets of strings that we are currently working on over at GHS, the subject of tension has come up a couple of times. We all know the science behind string tension, but when it comes down to feel and what you prefer, it becomes more of a grey area.

So, what's your preference? Do you like a lower tension feeling set, or are you a fan of a nice stiff set of strings?

I am willing to sacafrice abit of tone for comfortability when I play by myself... for some beginners it is good until they build up their finger strength and dexterity....
I play dropped tuning so it does not bother me....however I do prefer light strings for bending, pulloff , slides etc....to me I love GHS on Certain ukes...I recently had
an old red package GHS and slapped them on my Harmony baritone...wow wow Love them to death.... feel and tone.... yes it's the compound that is important also,
there is not a one string for all ukes brand unless the maker has many optional strings sets.... certain uke builds require different tensions, guages and compounds to compensate their balance in an individual ukulele and in personal preference..

Last edited:
GHS strings have a long way to go re ukulele strings. They are regarded as low quality strings stock strings that you must immediately exchange.

I was surprised how good they sound on my banjolele.

It's not just player preference, it's also how each uke responds to a given string.

String tension can be though of as mechanically biasing the top...the strings pre-stress the top, and different tensions will bring out different tonal and dynamic aspects of different ukes...

Top Bottom