Your favorite strings

BIGDB

Reaction score
Hello, I saw that thread on what everyone is using for strings so I'm wondering what everyone's favorite strings are. Now that I just got a new ukulele I want to try as much brands as possible to see what my favorite is. And im guessing lots of people like different brands on different ukes if you could name what uke(s) you use with different strings that would be great

Thanks

At this point, I've been lovin everything about SC; the feel, tone, balance and playability.

Varies from uke to uke. Not counting baritones I could be happy if Worth CH and CM and Ko'Olau Gold and Alohi strings were the only ones available - at least for the ukes I own right now. I've got a whole box full of strings though and try different brands on every new uke until I find the "perfect" strings for that uke.

John

I am a big fan of Worths (standards) and Southcoasts (only tried one set and they were soft medium).

Southcoast mediums are my go-to, but there's still a special place in my heart for Worth BMs (I'm thinking sopranos).

For the baritone, Southcoast re-entrants are excellent, but I'm toying withe the idea of Guadalupes (just b/c I haven't tried them).

It's nice, nylon strings for me: Kamaka, D'Addario J65, Ko'olau Gold, Ko'olau Mahana, and GHS strings have all worked well.

definitely the d'addario ej87t's - better known as the d'addario titaniums. for tenor. best i've come across and the purple color just adds to how much i love 'em! :eek:

Southcoast for all my low g tenors. 4 string, 5 string, 6 string, 8 string, all sound good. For re-entrant, Koolau Alohi, and Oasis for now...............

Southcoast for all my low g tenors. 4 string, 5 string, 6 string, 8 string, all sound good. For re-entrant, Koolau Alohi, and Oasis for now...............

Ah. I just got a Pono Tenor and want to try a new linear set. There are several options from Southcoast. Is there a specific one you would recommend?

Ah. I just got a Pono Tenor and want to try a new linear set. There are several options from Southcoast. Is there a specific one you would recommend?
Pretty sure Bo would recommend either one:
ML-SW: Medium Gauge Linear Set w/ smooth wound basses
ML-FW: Medium Gauge Linear Set w/ flat wound basses (formerly G650 Linear w/ flat wound basses)

Pono Tenor: Kala Pearls Low G, but I also like the High G set. Preferred these to Fremont Blacklines and Worth Browns (High & Low G). The Kala Pearls are really chimey with great overtones. The Fremonts and Worths were kinda like rubber bands.

KoAloha Pineapple & KoAlana Concert have the KoAloha strings that are probably Worth CM.

Flea Concert has Martin M600.

Luna Concert has Oasis GPX.

I have some Living Waters and Ko'olaus waiting for a needy ukulele.

I'm still trying to get used to the Low G voice. It makes the tenor sound a little too much like a guitar.

Aquila strings are not for me.

fremont blacklines and southcoasts

Aloha,
I used both the ML-SW (Polished Roundwound) and ML-FW (Flatwound), the wound string being for the 3rd (C) and 4th (G) strings.
I personally prefer the Flatwounds.................................Bo......................

Pretty sure Bo would recommend either one:
ML-SW: Medium Gauge Linear Set w/ smooth wound basses
ML-FW: Medium Gauge Linear Set w/ flat wound basses (formerly G650 Linear w/ flat wound basses)

Aisos, I nevah see yo post. Mahalo Bruddah and you are so right.............................Bo....................
Eh, da 6 and 8 string sets are da bomb too. I even wen buy a ML-FW + one hi g string for my Willie K 5 stringer.....sweet sounding but not fo me. Da neck too wide at 1 7/16". Going give'um to Dodie's son Jonathan of SOS..........

Last edited:
D'addario Titaniums currently hold the top spot for me.

I had formerly loved Worth strings, but they cost about twice as much as the T2s. I also like the thickness of the T2s versus Southcoast/Worth strings. Great feel on the set.

fyi,I noticed the Ko'alou alohi strings were very similar to the diadarrio T-2's, which I like too.I was told that's because they are made by them, with slightly different diameters. They can be had very reasonably from HMS. I just ordered 2 sets. I wanted to try the ones with 2 wound bases. I also like southcoast, and Aquila on laminate ukes.

Great thread. interesting posts.

It varies a lot but I keep finding myself buying Freemont Blacks and Worth BMs. I have had success with Living Waters, South Coast and the new Oasis strings. I also have some Aquilas for that overly bright sound

Top Bottom