PDA

View Full Version : A blast from the past :-)

dave g
07-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Not a uke, but I recently was reconnected with my 4th stringed instrument, made in June 1978 (35 years ago :)). It's a "courting" dulcimer - basically two mountain dulcimers in one. The idea is that two love birds sit facing one another, rubbing knees :drool:, and make beautiful music together.

I made it as a wedding present for two good friends. Unfortunately, (fortunately?) the marriage didn't last very long. There was a messy divorce, and as far as I knew, the dulcimer was just lost in the confusion, somewhere in Pennsylvania.

Fast forward to last week: the best friend of the two, Rick, was back in Ohio dealing with his Mom's stuff after she died. I went out to help patch drywall & whatnot in her condo to get it ready to sell, and Rick told me he had found a surprise for me. He had lost track of it too, but somehow or another the dulcimer had ended up in his Mom's care! Apparently it's been in a nice climate controlled house, in it's case, all this time:

http://www.wsukes.com/temp/DSCF2845.JPG

He said he was just going to sell it at auction with all her other stuff if I didn't want it. I told him I'd give it back to him if he ever got married again :).

It's still in tune (one side, anyway).

Pondoro
07-02-2013, 02:36 PM
What a great story. Too bad about the marriage, but glad your dulcimer has come back to you. Hopefully two more successful lovebirds will get to use it.

jcalkin
07-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Looks like its got some playing time on it, so somebody got to enjoy it for awhile.

dave g
11-06-2017, 12:59 PM
So an update on this! The dulcimer has been languishing untouched in the basement since the above post. Yesterday, at a family get-together, a cousin said she wanted me to make her a dulcimer. Told her I already had one that she and her boyfriend can use together. And he is an elementary school music teacher :-).

I've cleaned it up and put new strings on it today - it's off to Florida soon :-)

Peace Train
11-06-2017, 01:12 PM
Nice story, glad it has a happy ending. Going beyond the songs they sing, it makes you wonder about all the stories these instruments could tell if given the chance. And the cycle of life continues...