NUD - Pono RT-PC C

dirtiestkidever

Reaction score
Rosewood back and sides. Cedar Top. Its a 2nd though I can't figure out exactly why which is nice. I don't love the look of the tuners and abalone rosette but otherwise I think it looks great. Besides my focus for this uke was on sound and price and I am happy with both of those.

I want to keep in strung linear but I want to try a different string set. Any suggestions? This will be my 'guitar' uke.

IMG_1755.jpgIMG_1754.jpgIMG_1753.jpg

Cedar tops cry out for low G.

The cedar low G combo just blows me away. I'd get a set of either Worth CT or Savarez 540R Trebles, then add a Savarez Alliance KF95A unwound low G to either treble set. These are all fluorocarbon strings.

The balance, feel and tone of either set up will be the most perfect you'll ever feel on a uke.

This is a really nice instrument anyway. With this combo you'll just want to play and everyone will want to listen.

ecohawk

Excellent choice! Very nice instrument indeed. I agree with the Savarez suggestion. I have that set-up on my tenor and love it. You can't go wrong with Worth Clears either. Congrats on the uke!!

(I have to admit, though, that it pains me to see such a nice ukulele sitting in gravel.)

-Steve

(I have to admit, though, that it pains me to see such a nice ukulele sitting in gravel.)

Haha. I was wondering if someone would mention that. I did think twice before setting it there but it was the only sunny spot in the yard. Rest assured it was placed there very gently.

The cedar low G combo just blows me away. I'd get a set of either Worth CT or Savarez 540R Trebles, then add a Savarez Alliance KF95A unwound low G to either treble set. These are all fluorocarbon strings.

The balance, feel and tone of either set up will be the most perfect you'll ever feel on a uke.

This is a really nice instrument anyway. With this combo you'll just want to play and everyone will want to listen.

ecohawk

Thanks for your feedback. I had a set of Worth CT-LGs already so I put those on. Interestingly they held tune right away. Normally, they have to stretch overnight. Maybe the weather has some effect. Anyway, that really improved the feel and sound. I liked it with the factory strings but I love it with these. Do you think a Savarez Alliance KF95A low G will sound significantly different/better than the Worth low G?

Thanks again.

Do you think a Savarez Alliance KF95A low G will sound significantly different/better than the Worth low G?

I'm not sure it will sound significantly different, but maybe a bit more crisp from my experience. I think there is a slightly different feel to the Savarez as well. For me, it's really a toss-up. When I first swapped over to Savarez, I thought they were quite a bit better, but now I think some of that might just have been going from old to new strings. I would suggest picking up a set of the Savarez to try next, but don't change out the Worths until they need it.

-Steve

Congrats on your new uke!!! It sure looks good!!! I love cedar top uke....just love the warm and rounder sound coming from cedar tone wood.... My LFDM is a cedar top with rosewood and just love how it sounds.....

happy strumming!!!!

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/lady-standby-by-lotus-notes ......funk this up......

Do any of you think that this string advice would also apply to a spruce-top, as I believe there is similarity between that and cedar? And would it apply to a lower-end uke? (I'm thinking of getting an Islander solid spruce top/koa laminate sides and back.) Thanks.

Top Bottom