Thinking About a Kala Solid Mahogany Baritone

frets alot

Reaction score
Ok, I need another instrument like I need a hole in my head. A couple years ago when I decided to pick up a uke, I decided to go with a tenor, because I really liked the larger, deeper sound of the bigger ukes. Being a fingerstyle guitarist for 40 years, I was really tempted to get a baritone. But, it seemed like there was a lot of bad wrap for the baritone (too much like a guitar.....why not just get a guitar....etc.). I played the Kala solid mahogany baritone while at Elderly Instruments and loved it's tone, feel, price, etc. But, ended up going with the tenor. Now I'm thinking that that uke is still calling me. I'm noticing now that bari's are more acceptable that I first thought. It's not a lot of money, right? Especially compared to the high-end Taylor that my husband just got me. Any other baritone players out there that want to support me on this one?

I can't look into your wallet, you're the best person to decide if it's 'a lot of money' or not. If you can afford it, and want it: buy it.

Why concern yourself about negative or critical comments others make on this forum about baritone ukuleles or anything else ? If you want a baritone ukulele get one and enjoy it.

I played a Kala solid hog Bari side by side with a Martin. While I thought the Martin was better, the comparison left me feeling that the Kala was a really good buy.

Get it. Today. (Hah, hah, I'll bet you're not surprised to hear that from me.) Baritones are wonderful.

I don't play much baritone, but I do have a Kala solid mahogany.
For the money it is a nice instrument, plays well and sound good.
The best baritone I ever played was a Kamaka that belonged to a friend.
I don't know if all Kamaka baritones sound like his or if it just an exceptional instrument.
The Kala is NO where close, but is a nice instrument.

Can't really say much about their solid mahogany baritones but their makala (sub-brand) baritones are already pretty good, so I assume the kala solid mahogany will be MUCH better.

Top Bottom