New Uke Tune - Kiss Of Fire - Gerald Ross

Gerald Ross

Reaction score
Ok, it's a new year. Time to explore some new directions.

It seems that everything I've recorded so far has had a jazzy syncopated/swing feel to it. I can't help it, I'm wired that way. :cool:

To try something a bit different I recorded an Argentinian Tango yesterday (hopefully with no syncopation).

This tune was composed in Argentina in 1903 by Angel G. Villold. Many people have recorded it over the years. Singer Georgia Gibbs had a #1 hit with it in 1952. Louis Armstrong, Billy Eckstein, Tony Martin and Connie Francis also had success with the number.

For this recording I used my Talsma tenor uke, my 1993 Heritage Johnny Smith archtop guitar and Band-In-A-Box bass. Three instruments total.

Here's my version (hopefully with each note directly on the beat - ;)).

Kiss Of Fire - Gerald Ross

Last edited:
I love this tune. (I've got the Armstrong and Homer & Jethro versions)

I'd much appreciate it if you could post the chords in the tabs section. I'd love to work out a version for myself too.

Thanks for the chords.

It's odd, but I have always had a heck of a time figuring out chords straight from a record, but I can usually work it all out if I just have a place to start from.

I ended up with a variant for the "I can't resist you..." section that works pretty sweet for me.

If you're interested I tossed the Homer & Jethro version from my scratchy half century old 45 up on my Mediafire page. It's pretty amusing.

God bless H&J! :D

Amen, brother.

It took me well over a decade, but I've got an (almost) complete discography of those guys. Everything they recorded and released under their Homer & Jethro on King & RCA (and in stereo where applicable)
Worth it the whole way.

Hey Lanark,

Do you have Homer & Jethro's instrumental LP's "It Ain't Neccesarily Square" and "Playing It Straight"?

Those are two very hot LP's showcasing H&J's instrumental skills.

Absolutely. I've got them. Good records both. (There's also some great instrumental stuff peppered through the various live albums too.)

You looking for them?

No, but thanks for the offer.

About 10 years ago there was a Japanese reissue CD of these two H&J LPs together on one disk. I got it then. All the liner notes are in Japanese though.

To the best of my knowledge, the only thing that H&J released as "Homer & Jethro" (ie. I don't have any of the Nashville String Band records) that I don't have besides the Christmas lp (I draw the line at Christmas songs.) is a 7 inch of various Forest Fire Prevention PSA's that comes up on Ebay a couple times a year and which I've had bid out from under me a few times. (a pox upon your bidding robots. Refresh your browser and bid like a man, you lily-livered nancy boys...)

Last edited:
Top Bottom