thinking about getting a Koaloha Pineapple with a concert neck-some questions?

darylcrisp

Reaction score
folks, need some thoughts/opinions.

relatively new to Ukes, have played fingerstyle guitar for years. have acquired 3 tenor Ukes and really enjoy the learning process. going to sell my willie wixom koa tenor and with the funds i'm thinking of buying a Koaloha Pineapple with a concert neck.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/koaloha-pineapple-long-neck-ksm-03.html

i've only played the 3 tenors i own-no other Uke. have no idea of what the pineapple will be like.
primarily play fingerstyle but some rhythmic strumming at times also. kinda like the video for that Uke.

so fill me in on the pineapple shape, your thoughts, the concert neck, etc

thanks so much
d

oh yea, one other question

(my edit button does not work-never has-spoken to the mods but nobody knows how to fix it-so i have to add a post-no big deal)

i own a kanilea slothead tenor-love that neck profile shape, also a breedlove american-that neck is fine as well-and the wixom is almost identical to the kanilea. how does the neck profiles of the koaloha differ?
i'm calling HWS in a few hours when they open-anyone know if the neck width of these pineapples?

thanks again
d

I never have experience with the pineapple shape uke but I'm not sure that it differs that much from a traditional 8 shape uke.....but one thing for sure is that koaloha uke sounds very good....I've onwed a concert size and still onw a Sceptre concert and they sound very good...

https://soundcloud.com/baouke/lady-standby-by-lotus-notes ......funk this up.....

I have a Koaloha concert, so same neck, different body.It's neck is about 1/16" narrower and about the same profile as the Kanilea tenor. I really like the neck. I find it very comfortable to play, maybe the best size for all around. It has a great sound. If I could only have 1 uke , it would be it. Highly recommended . you won't be sorry.

Last edited:
I have a Koaloha Pineapple Sunday, pineapple shape with a concert size body and tenor scale neck.

It sounds and plays great; the nut width is slightly narrower than my Kanelia ukes and the neck carve has a very comfortable rounded profile.

The KoAlohas that I've played have a real sweet tone

I'm no expert but I understand the pineapple sound will be a bit fuller than a conventional soprano. If you're now playing tenors, a concert might be bigger sound than the pineapple and so closer to what you're used to.

Or I might be in left field....

P.S. Sounds like you've got some pretty nice ukes for being relatively new. What is it about the tenors that you don't like? OOPS, got it, you're just getting rid of ONE tenor.

Last edited:
I'm no expert but I understand the pineapple sound will be a bit fuller than a conventional soprano. If you're now playing tenors, a concert might be bigger sound than the pineapple and so closer to what you're used to.

Or I might be in left field....

P.S. Sounds like you've got some pretty nice ukes for being relatively new. What is it about the tenors that you don't like? OOPS, got it, you're just getting rid of ONE tenor.

thanks folks for the replies.
nothing wrong with any of the 3 tenors i have-actually all 3 are pretty bomber. great action, all 3 intonate really spot on, all 3 have a different sound/tone.
kinda got the UAS going on and i want to try something kinda different-because one never knows what might work out.
i'm set with the breedlove american(sitka/sapele) and the Kanilea slothead(koa). they are night and day, both play great and easy.
my willie wixom is all koa and is a super sweet tenor as well, its taken me quite a while to decide which to let go-i had actually thought to post all three and keep two after the first one sells.
so i'm thinking of trying one of these pineapples or just a concert-and i want to try a different maker for the experience.

looking at a koaloha concert as well.

d

after some research, youtube flicks, and a phone call with andrew at HMS, i think i will go in the direction of a Koaloha Concert Pikake.

i think it would suit me better overall.

what'da folks think about those?

d

I have a Pikake Concert and it is my favorite uke. It will get shiny spots, however. It that is going to bug you, you might want the high-gloss. We have one of those in the family as well and the tone of the two are very similar.

I agree with iDavid.

Not a big fan of shiny spots or forearm dirt impregnated soundboards, I always now get gloss.

I do realize, though, that it's a personal choice, even though I can't think of one solitary reason to get matte satin. ;)

I have a new KoAloha long neck Pineapple and a KoAlana (KoAloha's Thailand-made brand) concert. The concert has a fuller tone than the Pineapple l/n. The Pineapple sounds more like a soprano, it has a brighter upper register than the concert. I think the concert pikake will sound better for you coming from tenors. I'm a satin finish guy. If the Pineapple had been available in satin finish I'd have gotten that.

All KoAlohas have a wonderful sound, louder than expected and well balanced. I don't play well enough to have an opinion on the neck thickness.

thanks again folks

sounds like i'm on the right track.
gloss or satin doesn't really matter too me-nor does "use" spots that develop a shine(our mandolins have those).

wait till i post pics of the Kanilea slothead that has the new finish that looks like raw wood-feels like it too. i think its cool.

d

There is a problem with getting a KoAloha concert.... then you will want a KoAloha Tenor..then a soprano.... been there done that.

one other thing about longneck pineapples. I had a Mainland once, and I found it uncomfortable to play. the bridge was farther tward the bottom of the uke to accomidate the longer scale and because of my arm length it didn't seem to fit well. I don;t have that issue with the pikake

Top Bottom