I've created a monster (well, three monsters)

Lime

Reaction score
As I've said before, I'm not only learning ukulele, but I'm teaching my 5-year-old daughter to play as well. We're having so much fun that I ordered a baritone uke for my 7-year-old son (who is learning guitar, so the skills are transferable). We haven't gotten the baritone yet, but he joins in on guitar for now.

Well, I also have a 3-year-old daughter and every time anyone else gets out an instrument, she pretty much loses it. Someone has to give up an instrument and let her hold it and strum or no one gets to play. She saw me looking at a picture of a ukulele on the computer and jumped on top of me and pointed at the screen and said, "Ooohhh! Yeah! Look at that!"

My husband walked into the room and saw her holding my uke with a big huge grin on her face while she strummed it and said, "Awww, she loves it! Get her one. Teach her to play, too!"

Well, gosh, if you insist.

He also said yesterday that the concert looks too small and I should have gotten a size bigger, but not as big as a baritone, and is there such a thing? Why yes, yes there is. I guess I need a tenor. I really thought this wouldn't happen to me. This is less than one month in and I saw it happening to all the other people and I thought, those people are silly, you only need one ukulele.

Okay, so four monsters if you count me.

I'd like to tell you it slows down but I'm sure you rather hear the truth. :p

It never stops!
But playing uke is a good family acitivity, keep strumming.

It doesn't count as UAS until you get more than one uke per person. So you're ok so far. But you can't get another one. Unless. You get your husband to play. Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket. :p

It doesn't count as UAS until you get more than one uke per person.

Well, one soprano per person ...

plus one concert strung with re-entrant tuning and one with low-g tuning per person ...

plus one tenor A/E per person ....

After that, it's UAS

Well, one soprano per person ...

plus one concert strung with re-entrant tuning and one with low-g tuning per person ...

plus one tenor A/E per person ....

After that, it's UAS

Well...plus one baritone strung reentrant and one linear. And one good longneck soprano and one beater longneck soprano. And one tenor tuned in C and another tuned in Bb. And sopranos tuned in C and D. And a concert resonator. And a concert solid-body for quiet practice.

Yeah...more than that and you're looking at a probable case of UAS...

John

Well...plus one baritone strung reentrant and one linear. And one good longneck soprano and one beater longneck soprano. And one tenor tuned in C and another tuned in Bb. And sopranos tuned in C and D. And a concert resonator. And a concert solid-body for quiet practice.

John

You left out the Vintage Banjo Uke, and the Modern Banjo Uke...

But that still doesn't make it UAS...

Or as my wife says, we have 14 in residence, waiting for a new arrival, and then there are the Transients, who are only here to visit - (Like the John S. Kinnard, and the LWU, when it gets here...)

I don't have UAS. I can prove it - it ain't on my Medic Alert tag!

-Kurt​

Also you can check out great children's music teachers like Freda Dinn and Ella Jenkins to name two who started in the late 1950s. Sometimes their music needs to be adapted to a ukulele or ukulele tuning. Or there are more modern teachers like the ones here on UU, James Hill and Kimo Hussey.

+1 on Ella Jenkins, who plays a Baritone Ukulele, BTW so not too much adjustment necessary.
Also Woody Guthrie

When you feel a need to feed the monster, feed it new tunes not new ukuleles. New tunes are very low cost in terms of money, but need time and effort to learn. They can be much more rewarding than a new uke.
Get the music teacher to help you find them.
Also you can check out great children's music teachers like Freda Dinn and Ella Jenkins to name two who started in the late 1950s. Sometimes their music needs to be adapted to a ukulele or ukulele tuning. Or there are more modern teachers like the ones here on UU, James Hill and Kimo Hussey.
I'm not sure everyone else learning new music will help my three-year-old not feel left out when everyone is enjoying their instruments, but thanks for telling me about the teachers of children's music. I already have Ukulele in the Classroom, which is James Hill.

John
Having different tunings and such still sounds intimidating to me, so I think I'm safe for now :p. For now, my problem is that ukuleles are contagious. For now.

Top Bottom