Good things happen when you visit your first uke-store ever!

Helms

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

A few days ago I wrote a topic about getting back on the ukulele again after a little break where I was a little tired of playing the same stuff over and over.
That is no longer the case! :)

I have a few days left before heading home to Denmark after 2,5 month in USA.
Today we (my girlfriend and I) decided to visit a ukulelestore!
I had an idea of what I wanted to try and what I wanted to buy.
I could only fit a small pocket-ukulele into the suitcase, so that was my original idea.

However - I was so overwhelmed by all the ukuleles! It was really amazing seeing so many beautiful instruments. In Denmark we don't have any stores, who seriously sell ukuleles - so believe me when I say: It was a jawdropping experience!

First of all: I can not recommend Island Bazaar enough! They were so kind and let me play whatever ukulele I wanted and told me a lot about it - such an amazing experience! Visit them if you are in LA or close by!
They even gave us a free t-shirt! :)

Well - my first thought about buying a pocket-ukulele was completly blown out of my head once I sat down with some K-branded ukuleles.
I had the honor of trying Kamaka, Kanile'a and Ko'olau. It was amazing.
They were so beuatiful and sounded so good!
... and what happens?
I fell completely in love with the Kanile'a Tenor model! It was SO beautiful and had a pickup - which is a must for me at that price range.

Moneywise, I am now poor. Ukulelewise, I am now rich! Like really rich!
I have the most beautiful ukulele I have ever seen!

I'm so happy and can't wait to have time enough to just sit with it, play all day while learning a ton of new stuff (with the new solo-uke book I bought as well)!

Fotografi den 03-07-13 kl. 17.02.jpg Kanile'a K-2 T Premium!
Sorry about bad light - there is only so much I can do in a motelroom :)

Congratulations! It's beautiful. I hope you have a safe trip back and much happiness playing that uke. :D

Congrats ! Excellent choice ! That is a particularly nice Premium koa Kanile'a.

Congrats! The things a ukulele store can do haha go in expecting a low end uke walk out with a top of the line kanilea. i just bought a kanilea from island bazzar and they let me play a few so I'm pretty sure I played your excact one not sure though the one I played had low g on It. Have fun with it!

Last edited:
Excellent! Those Kanileas look fabulous. I remember when I went to Island Bazaar I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

That's an incredible ukulele, Helms! You made a great choice. Best of luck learning new music. I am guessing that it won't be difficult to find motivation to pick up that Kanilea!

-Steve

Thanks everyone!
I am really happy with it!
I hope and wish that ukuleles once will break through in Denmark so we also have the chance to play and buy these beautiful ukuleles!

I can't let it go once I've picked it up! :)

That is one purrdy lookin Kanilea you picked up....even in the poor lighting! I second the kudos to Island Bazaar. I spent several hours there over two days last November pouring over their selections before landing a sweet KoAloha concert. Shirley and crew are most hospitable, knowledgeable, and let you play what you want as long as you want until you find the right fit.
Safe travels while in the U S of A !

I like the wood grain touch the edge of the bridge. Great looking uke it is!

Ukuleles sure have the power to make people happy and admire them. Love to see this kind of thread.;)

Congrats on the awesome score....glad you took the oppertunity to get it now before you go back home....I am sure you and your kanilea will be a hit back home...:)

Congrats, I am glad your visit to Island Bazzar worked out for you. Enjoy the rest of your stay.

Congrats on the awesome score....glad you took the oppertunity to get it now before you go back home....I am sure you and your kanilea will be a hit back home...:)

Thanks!
Ye - I just couldn't leave without it!
Also - if I ordered it from Denmark, there would be an additional 25% tax once it landed it Denmark.
I can't wait to show it off back home. Although I know no-one seriously playing the ukulele, it will be a hit. I'm sure of it :)

Top Bottom