Foldable ukulele latch

UkeyLukey

Reaction score
I am in the process of making a foldable ukulele. I was wondering if anyone knows of any latches that would work to keep the instrument open from the back. It is going to fold where the neck reaches the body and i have a hinge but i am not sure what to use to keep it open since there is a lot of tension from the strings trying to fold it. Are there any links you could send me with a latch that might be good for this? Thanks! :eek:

I did an experiment once with a folding soprano..I used a couple of those folding barrel hinges that are concealed in holes in the joint ..I latched it in the open postion with some 3/4" dia rare earth magnets embeded in the joint.. ..it held well enough to tune the uke up to standard "C":D
Barrel Hinges

Last edited:
Timbuck, I salute you - you make old-school ukuleles that look dead on traditional, but are also willing to try some pretty weird stuff.

Timbuck, Thank you for your reply. Did you use two magnets for this? or did you use one magnet and one metal piece?

For my woodwork GCSE, I made a folding acoustic guitar. The hinge was hidden in the heel, and the neck folded down the back. Basically, you slacken the strings and lock them in place with a capo, then unhook them from a tailpiece and slot then into a hole in the top.

Didn't need any locks, the strings held the neck straight. You can do a lot with very little, so make sure you don't over-complicate unnecessarily.

Timbuck, Thank you for your reply. Did you use two magnets for this? or did you use one magnet and one metal piece?
Two magnets... the bigger the better i used four 20mm dia X 5mm glued together in pairs ..but if you look on ebay there are lots of other sizes and shapes to consider.

Last edited:
As is Ukuleles weren't compact enough? Maybe someone can do an inflatable uke?

Top Bottom