Martin Pre-1932 Vintage Tenor with Oasis Tenor Strings

I have a Martin Tenor and experimented with 3 sets of strings:

Martin Fluorocarbon
South Coast Soft Mediums
Oasis Tenor Strings

My favorite by far are with the Martins followed by the Oasis and SC did not stay on very long. The Oasis were softer than the Martins...They are a little brighter as well.

If you get a vintage Martin, I recommend the Martin strings. The A string snapped in 2 days so had to change it and started the experiment...I'm too cheap to buy new strings right away :p

Let me know what you think about the sound...lazy and just used a point and shoot camera

Last edited:
Aloha Danny,
I am happy you got the martin tenor...keep playing it and it will open more and more......Welcome to the Martin Family ......woo hoo

Very Nice !

Aloha, Daniel.

I like your Martin tenor. What do you think of the sound overall? I know you have played many fine ukes-- custom ukes. So, do you think it compares? Martin is known for sopranos, so I don;t know about vintage Martin tenors. Are they all they're cracked up to be?

Aloha, Daniel.

I like your Martin tenor. What do you think of the sound overall? I know you have played many fine ukes-- custom ukes. So, do you think it compares? Martin is known for sopranos, so I don;t know about vintage Martin tenors. Are they all they're cracked up to be?

Hey Steve

I would say the Martin soprano is still the king pin of vintage ukes. I think this Martin tenor is better than any hog uke I've played but I assume it's due to the age of the wood. I've played a vintage Martin concert & bari too but I like the tenor.

I like it much better than my Kamaka longneck in high G. It's a good sound for high G but you know me, I don't play high G. I play the same songs over and over...LOL

Just like many good ukes I've played, it'll probably be on the market for trade or for sale. Ukes are like sports fishing, you get excited about the catch and then you release it. :p

Just like many good ukes I've played, it'll probably be on the market for trade or for sale. Ukes are like sports fishing, you get excited about the catch and then you release it. :p

Man, your fickle as a pickle. lol But, I get you. I see...better than the Kamaka long neck. Interesting.

Thanks for the 411. I trust your judgement, D.

Man, your fickle as a pickle. lol But, I get you. I see...better than the Kamaka long neck. Interesting.

Thanks for the 411. I trust your judgement, D.

I had to buy a Martin cuz I saw you pre-order a Martin book! What good would that book be without saying I've owned one? hehe

I had to buy a Martin cuz I saw you pre-order a Martin book! What good would that book be without saying I've owned one? hehe

Do you think you'll part with the tenor and buy a quintessential Martin soprano, which the book will tell us is really what a Martin uke is about? Curious, since you once said you're venturing into the Ukulelezaza percussive stuff a bit.

no need to buy , trade me the tenor for the soprano.It.s in really nice shape, just some play wear on the top and 2 slight hairline cracks on the back. plays like butter, light as a feather, and the tone and bark many have tried to copy. they really got these right.

Last edited:
I had the privilege of noodling on this uke for a couple of minutes, and side by side with my usual 20s Martin soprano. First time I've held a non soprano vintage Martin. It's got the tone , the finish is sketchy, but the wood is fine. the neck is pretty narrow, and the strings are close together, just like the soprano. Sounds similar but with a more sustain and depth. But it was a pleasure to have the extra space on the fretboard, as fingering on the sop needs to be very precise with the low bar frets. really cool.

Do you think you'll part with the tenor and buy a quintessential Martin soprano, which the book will tell us is really what a Martin uke is about? Curious, since you once said you're venturing into the Ukulelezaza percussive stuff a bit.

You are very persuasive and you know me, I'm into the bling and reasonably priced so if I can find a Martin Style 3 hog, that would be my uke of choice...reasonably price being relative. :p

I had the privilege of noodling on this uke for a couple of minutes, and side by side with my usual 20s Martin soprano. First time I've held a non soprano vintage Martin. It's got the tone , the finish is sketchy, but the wood is fine. the neck is pretty narrow, and the strings are close together, just like the soprano. Sounds similar but with a more sustain and depth. But it was a pleasure to have the extra space on the fretboard, as fingering on the sop needs to be very precise with the low bar frets. really cool.

Peter, you are too nice. His 1920s uke is magical and I have that sound ingrained in my head so I know if I get a soprano, it better sound just like yours! That thing is a beast for its size and louder than most of the ukes in our group!! If I buy a soprano, I want one that old!!

Top Bottom