Ive inspired someone!!!!

fatfingers75

Reaction score
one day i was singing and playing drop baby drop in my room. my 12 year old brother comes in and ask me if i can teach him how to play. he knows how to play a few chords now. he is finaly saved up enough money to get his own.

have you got someone to play the uke? please tell.

My 20-year-old cousin showed an interest in the uke when I showed mine to him. I just bought a Kala (I think) koa tenor for him from MGM. Accidentally paid for it twice (thus overdrawing my account), so now I'm waiting for the guy to respond, so we can work something out before the bank slaps a hefty overdraft fee on me.

That cousin of mine had better appreciate my gift, with all the trouble I have to go through to get it. :p

Who knew Deaching someone could be so dangerous?

My four kids.

I have a friend that has been writing songs with me for many years. He has known me for forty. Recently, he has finally taken to the notion that he will have to get himself a ukulele. I think I will introduce him to a few models to make it easier for him to leap... Kala Jazz archtop is very guitar-like in appearance. Ohana baritone, sweet and mellow. Eleuke would be fun for him, but I don't have one and don't really want one. Maybe I'll just point to Pete's website.

Last edited:
Between alaka'i's Palika "Pat" Enos (Ukulele Society of America), Frank Leong (Moonlight Beach Ukulele Strummers), Fred Thompson (Wind an Sea Ukulele Orchestra), Joey Villena (Pacific Arts Dance Studio), Andy (Momilani's), Ron Woscow (San Marcos Senior Center), Lois (Vista Senior Center), Roy Goode (Giacoletti Music), Mike "The Skipper" (retired Naval Captain) McVay, Professor Dr. Keith Marzullo, Jim and Tina Stowe, Dede Reimer and several others in the San Diego area - THOUSANDS! Literally. I've helped over a hundred, to include my three daughters and 4 grandaughters. All my daughters and grandaughters got Applause UAE20 acoustic/electric ukes and Vox DA5's for Christmas this year. All my daughters play guitars and other instruments. My two oldest daughters live out of state and I walked them through reentrant tuning and the fact that the uke starts at the fithe fret of the guitar, in a higher octave. My youngest granddaughter, 3 years old on the 31st of this month, has a particular interest in the keys. I see a Steinway in her future, courtessy of Lolo! Ric

23320music11.jpg

23320music16.jpg

23320music17.jpg

23320music23.jpg

I have a friend that has been writing songs with me for many years. He has known me for forty. Recently, he has finally taken to the notion that he will have to get himself a ukulele. I think I will introduce him to a few models to make it easier for him to leap... Kala Jazz top is very guitar-like in appearance.

Is that the arched top one with F-holes, Mickey? If so, I tried one of those at Giacoletti Music and was impressed with the rich tone and volume. Ric

Although I'm usually pretty shy about performing, I brought my Fluke with me to see my family during Christmas. On Christmas eve, I played some songs for the fam and the rest of the night my brother, uncle, and mom were taking turns with it trying to do a few chords and strums! I was really happy, needless to say.

My mom is a great guitar player and she played the Fluke more and more during my visit. She picked it up almost immediately and made it sound better than I can, lol. She and my dad are going to Hawaii in May to see family, and she's going to handpick her own uke there. I'm extremely jealous but very happy for her!

i dunno how many people have ask'd...

"teach me im your's"

OMG!! i learnt it in 2007... and people start asking mew around august 2008 cause when it came out in aussie... or whatever time it came out

but it made me hate the song.. but i teach them... and they buy the mahlo ukes

I've roped a couple of friends into the uke game. They're coming over this afternoon for our first uke fest.

The family was in Cancun, Mexico over the New Year and I carried my uke along. I met some women from New York at the resort who didn't even know what a ukulele is. "We can't sing," they protested. "That's OK, I can't play," I told them. One of them stuck around and we went on with Tonight You Belong To Me for a couple of hours.

A lot of folks on the beach there didn't recognize it. Most were from Europe or the US East Coast, so I guess they don't get much Hawaiian influence.

That little box is a great ice breaker.

I'm new to the uke so I've probably inspired a few people to not play if they've heard me practicing. I did inspire my son to start playing guitar when I was learning slack key. Now he's significantly better than I am (in all genres) and has inspired me to put more time into my own playing. How's that for coming full circle?!

Craig

We managed to convince my sister-in-law to make the switch from guitar to ukulele. Actually, as soon as she picked up our baritone ukulele, she started playing it and declared, "Guitars are for squares!" That baritone now lives with her in New Mexico.

I have given ukuleles to my son and my grandmother, who both play regularly (or at least that's what they tell me ;)).

We have had a number of charter guests who were interested in learning to play the ukulele. I usually teach them a couple of chords, and then we play songs together while I song. They love it!

Several of our guests have actually taken up the ukulele as a result of my mini-lesson.

i came back from hawaii 2 years ago with my first uke and played it at school. Since then most of them know how to play now, haha. i enjoy teaching them stuff

I am inspired by different ukulele musicians on a daily basis, but I don't know if I've inspired anyone myself.

What I HAVE done is influence the people around me to RESPECT the ukulele! When I told my friends/family that I started playing the uke, they all just laughed and asked me if I played "Tiptoe Through the Tulips".

Now they realize it's a legit instrument with unlimited possibilities! That by itself is totally worth it! :) :smileybounce:

Cool stories, all.

I hadn't thought about it much, but yeah.. I have inspired a few people to learn. My youtube channel used to be a ton of hard rock guitar covers, some of them are still there. I got like 30 subscribers from that. Since I've been playing all uke, two of those old subscribers have told me they got a uke because of my videos. That was such a cool thing to hear!

No, I haven't yet

No, I haven't been playing long enough to have inspired anyone - but I would like to point out that many people on this forum have certainly inspired me.

I am actually shocked at how much free and excellent information there is available about ukulele playing.

For those of you who have posted instructional videos, and who take the time to answer newbie questions - THANK YOU!

hehe, as I mentioned on a few different threads before, I inspired my 31 years old brother. actually I gave a Uke to my little sister on X-mas and he (who never played any instrument before) took it and fell in love with it. just a few minutes ago my mom got a phone call from him and he said:

"Mom, do you know what I got?"

"No, is it a baby, am I going to be grandma?"

"*ploing* it's my Uke, it finally arrived"

so, now he got himself the exact same Uke I bought, a Kala KA-SC, and is pretty happy with it!:shaka:

had to get my oldest daughter (11 yo) her own so she'd stop asking to use mine. now some of the other kids are showing an interest, so there may be more ukes on the into our house way before long...

skl

when i took my ohana tk-300g to school, my friends think it's now a really cool instrument. probably before,they thought it was some sort of fun and unserious instrument like the triangle or something. then i said it cost three hundred quid and they were pretty changed by that, i think some of them think it's a really cool instrument. nothing like some girls, a beach, a fire and my uke.:D

Top Bottom