I wrote my first song!

mattydee

Reaction score
I'm part of a cool art project with a bunch of friends. We all took a blank book, decided on individual themes, and month to month you add a piece of original art to the book and pass it on round-robin style. Then you do another original piece based on the theme you just received and so on.

The book I got for June was 'Neighborhoods.' SO I wrote a song about my neighborhood, Bay View, on the south side of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

(Also, that's my new music room, up in the attic... gone are the days of folding up the mic stand daily and unplugging everything and stuffing uke cases in corners. Hurrah!)

Nicely done, sir! Mouth trumpet skillz.

Love it! What an accomplishment. Very sophisticated song - one could believe you've been writing songs for years.

Thanks! It was a big accomplishment for me -- I'm an interpretive artist in my life, and I always feel a little scared when trying to create something out of whole cloth. It's only a few chords, but I like how it came together.

Very nice song and congratulations on the music room. What a treat!
The music room makes both me and my wife happy! I get a music room, and she no longer has to listen to me practice the same song for hours!

Nicely done, sir! Mouth trumpet skillz.
Thanks, Seeso! I often feel that the best thing that has come from my learning the uke, is my mouth trumpet. If only my fingers were as compliant...

Nicely done, and I second the comment re. the mouth trumpet.

Thanks!

So much love for your 'hood here---sweet one, Mr. D!

Thanks, Ralf. It really is a great place to live. People compare Milwaukee to Portland a lot... I've never been to Portland, but I figur it probably has some pretty good 'hoods to recommend it, no?

May the floodgates open and we get treated to many, many more Matty Dee originals!!!

Thanks, Gary! Who knows? It may happen yet!

Great song! If i could sing i would record something in the veins of your song :)

Was fun to play along too aswell :)

Thanks! It was a big accomplishment for me -- I'm an interpretive artist in my life, and I always feel a little scared when trying to create something out of whole cloth. It's only a few chords, but I like how it came together.

I know what you mean, Matty. I came from the theater world too. It's exhilarating, writing songs, ain't it? I foresee many many more in your future.

I know what you mean, Matty. I came from the theater world too. It's exhilarating, writing songs, ain't it? I foresee many many more in your future.

Yeah -- I performed it at a 4th of July Party for some friends (in the 'hood) and it went over so much better than my covers do, I think just because they really appreciated the fact of writing the song. I'm looking forward to trying it again.

Top Bottom