Ukulele on an airplane?

Helms

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

As some of you may know, I was lucky enough to purchase a wonderful Kanile'a tenor ukulele here in LA.
I will be leaving July 10th, so have a few days left here.

I was wondering how to handle the ukulele on the plane.
I guess different companies have different policies. I will be flying with United Airlines to Frankfurt, and Lufthansa from Frankfurt to Denmark.

I'm not really sure about what to do, whether pack it as a carry-on or checked in luggage.
It is in a UkeCrazy hardcase, so should be able to handled in any way necessary.
I would feel most comfortably having it as a carry-on, knowing constantly where is was, but I guess that would limit my other carry-on stuff, such as my also newly bought Macbook (... and the ton of Boardgames I would prefer to also have in my carry-on)

From the looks of it, it looks like there is no warrenty for items packed in checked in baggage.

From what I can read on United Airlines both options seem to be available - but they don't really specify the requirements/limits for the instrument, before it can no longer be packed as a carry-on.

Has anyone had any experience with ukuleles on airplanes and what would you advice me to do?

This is from United Airlines website:

"Musical instruments can be carried on board or checked as baggage. If necessary, a seat can also be purchased for an instrument.

Carried on board

A small musical instrument can be carried on as a personal item. If the musical instrument appears too large or irregularly shaped to fit under the seat or in the overhead compartment, it will not be accepted for in cabin stowage.

Checked as baggage

Instrument should be in a hard shell case to protect it during normal handling.
Excess charges apply if checking more than the baggage allowance.
Oversize charges apply to musical instruments that measure 90 - 115 linear inches.
Overweight charges apply to musical instruments that are over 50 pounds.
Musical instruments over 70 pounds will not be accepted.
If the instrument is over 115 linear inches, contact United Reservations.
In addition to the above polices, stringed instruments should have the strings loosened to protect the neck from damage due to expansion and contraction which result from temperature variations."

... also - should I be worried about temperature variations possibly breaking the ukulele?

I have similar concerns. I will probably have one uke in my checked baggage and another in my carry on. I am putting the sturdier of the two (an ODU) in checked baggage. I think sopranos have the easiest time of it. I was considering taking my baritone, but I have given that idea up.

I have one too. and if I few with it I'd def carry it on. I usually either pack a soprano in my carry on, sandwiched between the clothes, or carry on a concert in a lightweight case . You are allowed ! carry on and one other bag. I just put it between my feet if there is no room in the overhead. luckily I don't have a purse.

I've taken a tenor ukulele in its case on board United flights from San Francisco to Hawaii and back, and nobody ever said anything. it spent both flights in an overhead bin. The problem you may run into is if it's a full flight and you board later rather than earlier, the overhead bins may all be too full to accommodate an ukulele in a case, in which case the flight attendant is likely to ask you to gate-check your ukulele. So try to board early if you can, perhaps even if you have to pay extra.

In anticipation of encountering problems bringing my ukulele on a United flight, I had this video cued up on my smartphone to support my fear of checking my ukulele as baggage.

I was glad that I didn't have to resort to showing the video, which could have only angered the flight attendant.

Sorry -- no way would I check it. I flew to Denver from Minneapolis (and back) and I was allowed a backpack and my ukulele case as carry-ons.

The problem you may run into is if it's a full flight and you board later rather than earlier, the overhead bins may all be too full to accommodate an ukulele in a case, in which case the flight attendant is likely to ask you to gate-check your ukulele. So try to board early if you can, perhaps even if you have to pay extra.
This can't be emphasized enough. When the overhead bins are full, they're full, and no amount of arguing about "But, but, I'm allowed to carry this on" will do diddly.

Choose your seat according to the boarding order. In most airports (where jetways are used) boarding starts at the rear of the plane.

I've traveled several times with ukes (K brands) and I have never had one problem. You can always put them under the seat in front of you (if you are not in a bulkhead street) if there is no overhead space. You can also ask them to put it in the closet.

Basically, don't be a jerk and it should be fine. Do not gate check, be nice and ask for alternatives. If you are nice, they will should work with you.

I flew with my Pineapple Sunday in a concert Mono bag a few weeks ago from PA to Alabama and back. The key is to only carry on 2 things -- don't try to add another purse or something. I chose my computer bag and the uke, and checked my suitcase.

When I flew out on a small jet, I was in the first row, so I had no room to store my computer. I chose to gate check (pink tag) the computer and put my uke in the overhead. No issues at all storing both items on larger jets. Interestingly, at least 4 people inquired about what instrument I was carrying!

All the way from Kauai to England in the overhead lockers (Kanile'a Tenor) last year. 4 flights total, all AA. Not a problem at all.

Also, brought back my Fender and Luna from New York with the gig bags strapped together, again in the overhead. Nobody batted an eye. As Mike said, just look confident, as if it's the most normal thing in the world and you don't expect to be questioned.

I'm traveling to England soon via KLM and their carry-on luggage allowances are the same as United. I'm bringing a back-pack and my uke on board. The only leg of the trip I'm worried about is the "cityhopper" jet flight between Schiphol and Humberside Airfield. They warn you that cabin space on these smaller jets is limited. If I have to choose between the backpack and uke, I'm keeping my uke with me.

Thanks guys!
That is really comforting to hear. I'd hate loosing sight of my ukulele for 15 hours.
I'm gonna play it cool and hope for the best :)

But just to be sure - I can bring my uke AND a small bag for computer and such?

Thanks guys!
That is really comforting to hear. I'd hate loosing sight of my ukulele for 15 hours.
I'm gonna play it cool and hope for the best :)

But just to be sure - I can bring my uke AND a small bag for computer and such?
Yes- typically 1 carry on and 1 personal item. A computer bag and a uke should be fine.

This topic comes up every so often and I try repost the following post I made a couple of years ago. I have a unique insight into this topic. Hope this helps:

As an Airline Pilot I couldn't resist adding my 2 cents. I bring my Kala travel uke with me EVERYWHERE. I often jumpseat on airlines other then my own so I have lots of experience in this area. Here is my advice:
1 - NEVER, EVER check or gate check your ukulele - NEVER
2- TSA - The rules state that you can carry on one instrument in addition to your carry on and personal item. They don't always know the rules, they are poorly trained and are performing an unskilled task for a meanial amount. Therefor you can surmise the level of employee they recruite. Arguing does no good, simply ask to speak to their supervisor and tell them to refer to TSA.gov website section pertaining to: Transporting Musical Instruments, then politly explain the rules.
3 - Kindness and niceness go along way, however the gate agent (the person who collects the tickets) is your biggest obstacle. If the gate agent attempts to make you gate check your uke tell her, "I carry it on all the time, if it doesn't fit I would be happy to gate check it", however don't forget rule one.
4 - Now that you have gotten past the gate agent there are two more obsticles. First, if you are carrying something bigger then a soprano there may be a lack of overhead bin space. The only way you have to combat this is to be ready to que up as soon as the gate agent calls ready to board. Boarding is usually done by seating sections, one first etc. (unless your flying on southwest) be the first in your section to board to ensure overhead bin space.
5 - If there is no overhead bin space this brings us the next obstacle, the flight attendant. If there is no more overhead space there are several options. There are always coat closets, even on the smallest planes. On some of the smaller planes the coat closet is reserved for the crew. Again kindness goes along way. The crew wants to get the plane out on time and not get blamed for a delay. Ask nicely if you can place it in the coat closet, if they tell you the closet is full or there is no closet ask if you can place it in the crew's closet. If they still refuse, tell them on the last flight the Captain placed the uke in his closet and ask if they will ask this captain if he will do the same. As a Captain I always accomodate instruments, even full size guitars. If you still don't have any luck, look for open seats on the plane. An instruments may be place in an empty seat as long as: 1)The case has some kind of handle to secure the instrument to the seat with the seat belt 2) The instrument is not placed in an exit row 3) The instrument is not so tall as to block any signs (no smoking, fasten seat belt etc.)
If after using all this information you still are being asked to check or gate check you uke, ask your self this question, is the health of my uke more important then the time it would take to wait for the next flight. If you value your uke ask to be put on the next flight, you will probably have a different gate agent and a different flight attendant. I hope this helps all you traveling musicians. If you have any more question feel free to send me a private message.

This topic comes up every so often and I try repost the following post I made a couple of years ago. I have a unique insight into this topic. Hope this helps:

Wauw. Thank you so much! This has removed all doubt! I am doing this! :)

And I know just how far politeness goes. I've been working at a record store for a few years, and helping a nice costumer was always a joy and was a completely different experience rather than trying to service a man, yelling your face off, because he had a bad day.

I'll do my best! :) Thank you so much
Hopefully I won't have any issues.

As a traveller who flys - from the UK to HongKong, Singapore, Melbourne, Adelaide, and Wellington. Nothing annoys me more than:
excessive cabin bagage, people moving my 1 small bag around to fit their excessive crap in. If you are sitting beside me and and move my bag to fit your Uke or fiddle in I have and will tell to ' yourself. Yes I am unreasonable.
You are allowed usually 1 bag 7Kgs and a small camera. Airlines should enforce it. No exceptions. Insure it, pay the excess, check it. If you aren't prepared to do that then buy a cheap Uke at your destination. Enjoy a pleasant flight not annoying your fellow passengers, thankyou.

I have never had an issue with either United or Lufthansa.... and I travel quite a bit (usually with a ukulele).

On several occasions, I have seen United flight attendants go to great lengths to accommodate full sized guitars in the cabin... so they will probably feel lucky to deal with a ukulele.

Yes I am unreasonable.

Enjoy a pleasant flight not annoying your fellow passengers who want to fit their crap in the overhead locker, thank you. Nothing annoys me more than people being unreasonable in airplanes.

Nothing annoys me more than people in airplanes.

Easier to edit yours to reflect my own particular feelings on air flight.

And don't get me started on people who think it's OK to inflict very young children/babies on long haul passengers.

Top Bottom