hope i chose the right wood combination

1300cc

Reaction score
just sign up for a custom concert uke with pmguitars.com.au

its a tasmanian black wood for back n sides , redwood for the top, longer neck

Well, that depends on the sound you are looking for, but it seems like a great combination to me!

just sign up for a custom concert uke with pmguitars.com.au

its a tasmanian black wood for back n sides , redwood for the top, longer neck

You didn't say why you might be concerned that the combination you selected isn't the right one. It sounds good to me -- soft soundboard, hardwood back and sides generally gives a bright sound. Congratulations on your upcoming custom build! Please be sure to post photos.

I'm assuming you and the builder discussed sound as well as wood combos before making the final decision. Are you having second thoughts?

Sounds like an amazing combination, one I'd choose. I love redwood tops and isn't blackwood like Koa? Should sound awesome

I think that will be a very nice combination. I've got a redwood and koa tenor (and I believe that koa and blackwood have reasonably similar tonal profiles) that I think is fantastic.
I find the redwood top gives a very clear and clean sound - very balanced across the whole range. While I love my all mahogany ukes, I find the mid and low ranges tend to get blender together with all that rich mahogany warmth, quite different from the clarity and crispness of the redwood. The only draw back i've found with the redwood is that it is unforgiving if you make a mistake in your picking. You'll hear that mistake sing out along with every other note!

Well, if you don't like it, I'll buy it off you! ;)

I'm assuming you and the builder discussed sound as well as wood combos before making the final decision. Are you having second thoughts?
Yeah, it's a little late to be asking here about what others think of your wood choices.

Hopefully, the builder gave you good advice about what woods work together well. Had you chosen a combination he/she felt wouldn't work, I would have expected them to be honest with you and not just say "Sure, I'll build that for you."

Redwood is nice, not as brash as spruce for the smaller ukes. I personally prefer warmer tones from mahogany and koa for smaller bodies to offset the natural brightness caused by a smaller surface area and body volume. But that's just me.... others like the happy, bright sound other woods make.

I'm sure it will sound absolutely wonderful. Post pics!

not really.

When you order/commission a custom, you and your builder would normally discuss specifics based on your likes. This would include tonewoods, finishes, type of tuners, etc. After all it is being made for you. I know I would have . . . Just sayin'.

china-fir and tasmanian blackwood03.jpgchina-fir and tasmanian blackwood04.jpgjust received my new concert uke, china-fir for top wood and tasmanian blackwood sides and back. made my maurice paul guitars in australia
china-fir and tasmanian blackwood.jpgchina-fir and tasmanian blackwood02.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations 1300cc! Very pretty uke and an interesting design! Big, wide body for a concert...has a real 'guitar' look to it. And 15 frets to body too. How does it sound?

What a beautiful uke! Wow. I love the grain of the blackwood, and I've never seen coloration like is in the china fir. Awesome!

The china-fir is recomended by the luthier. Ill try to post some sound samples. Uke is handmade using spanish method. I am still waiting for anothe uke with Pickup , this one is redwood top an tasmanian blackwood for sides and back and from another aussie luthier.

That is the most striking Tassie Blackwood I've ever seen on a uke!

If I didn't think my hubby would have a fit, I'd offer to take that Maton of yours off your hands. :)

That is the most striking Tassie Blackwood I've ever seen on a uke!

If I didn't think my hubby would have a fit, I'd offer to take that Maton of yours off your hands. :)

actually i want to getrid of my pono tenor coz ive got small hsnds and shorter fingers.....maton im tempted to sell it as well ckz mu fsvorite now is the china fir snd concert kala

Top Bottom