K brands-who has the widest fingerboards and largest frets?

darylcrisp

Reaction score
Kamaka, Kanilea, and Koaloha

which brand tends to have the wider necks and larger fretwire size?
tenor and concert size if that matters.

thanks
d

Last edited:
I played a kamaka tenor, kanilea tenor, and koaloha super tenor and I thought the kamaka felt pretty wide the kanilea had the thickest neck but I think It was the thinnest in wideness

Yup it's between the Kamaka and Kanilea....but if I could, I'd play them both first and pick the one that suits you better in comfort, playability and tone....Good Luck
every uke will be different...choose well

Yup it's between the Kamaka and Kanilea....but if I could, I'd play them both first and pick the one that suits you better in comfort, playability and tone....Good Luck
every uke will be different...choose well

yes I agree with Stan I play all the new K brands at The Ukulele Site(aka HMS)and they all have a different tone...MGM pick ups new K brands daily...but the Kamaka tenors are gone in 1 day....

I think the Kanile'a has the widest fretboard and the Kamaka's the thinnest neck..

I've played all 3 while shopping for a new uke, and I believe the Kanilea had the widest neck. The size of the fret (ie. the size between frets) should generally be the same for all ukuleles of the same size, by the laws of physics. If the distance from the bridge to the nut is the same for two ukuleles, their frets should all be the same size.

when you get to the tenor size there is a significant difference in fret size. The KoAloha and Kamaka have the .080" which is found on most guitars while Kanile'a has the .053 found on most soprano and concerts.

when you get to the tenor size there is a significant difference in fret size. The KoAloha and Kamaka have the .080" which is found on most guitars while Kanile'a has the .053 found on most soprano and concerts.

Does this make a difference in playability or is it just a slightly different feel?

Then there is the Kamaka Long Neck Tenor with uber room! No others that big unless you go Barri. Kamaka Long Neck Concert has Tenor neck...that might be ideal with UPT tuners by Gotoh...but try before u buy.

Last edited:

folks, thanks for the replies and info-i went in and did an edit(yea, edit function got fixed-thanks seeso). i meant which has the largest fretwire size-my bad, should have been more descriptive.

i have a Kanilea, breedlove, and willie wixom tenor-the breedlove and wixom have larger fretwire and i'm a firm believer in larger wire helps in all areas for my playing.
the kanilea is an awesome tenor-i think it would be even more so with larger frets.

of my three, the kanilea and wixom have 1.5" wide fretboard regions at the nut-the breedlove is 1 3/8". the kanilea has the thinnest neck profile, the wixom has a deeper/fuller D shape, and the breedlove has a nice fullness as well.
all 3 work, but i do like width.

i so wish i could do some store demo's with multiple brands, unfortunately the most close place that stocks these brands of Ukes is across the country for me.

thanks
d

Between my longneck KoAloha soprano, Kanile'a concert, Kamaka Lili'u tenor and longneck Kamaka concert, the KoAloha and Kamaka Lili'u have the thickest fretwires.

Top Bottom