Pre-1932 Vintage Martin Tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Uke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am one fickle guy!! I just bought a Martin Tenor Uke but now am thinking about buying another custom tenor!

Finish is worn out as nitro was made to last about 75 years. Front is worn to the wood at certain places and back has major checking. Structurally and sound is great in my opinion. Had seam separation fixed for center and hairline crack in the back that was close to the center fixed. There is a seam separation on the back and edge that could be fixed...luthier said it was glued to the kerfling so not too worried about it. Secondly, I like perfect conditioned ukes and I went to several places in Los Angeles and every place said they would recommend me to leave it alone as it sounds great and if I refinish it, it could lose value to collectors. I would also put gotoh UPT tuners as I'm not a fan of friction tuners but that's me...I would have modernized the uke!!! LOL

It's a pre-1932 because of stamp on back of headstock and inside soundhole. It has bar frets instead of T frets and 12 frets to the body. Comes with metal friction tuners.

There is slight twisting by 1st few frets but very minor. Ding by the nut and some scratches here and there. I have posted lots of pics as I want to be honest as possible! No bellowing and curving of the neck. Bridge pins are not original. Please ask questions before buying as there is no return and I have priced it reasonably in my opinion. Comes with new blemished case that has rip on top. I took it to David Neely, luthier in Hollywood and he really liked it and already has a buyer. I said the uke was not for sale but now wondering if I should get another custom.

I started the thread below with a sound sample. I was really planning to keep it but custom tenors are my thing...I might still keep it but throwing it out there.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...e-1932-Vintage-Tenor-with-Oasis-Tenor-Strings

$670 Shipped in US or $600 local pickup. Thanks for looking.

Back.JPGBottom.JPGFront.JPGHeadstock Back.JPGUke w Case.jpg

Last edited:
More Pics

Hardly any wear on frets or fret board.

Back Checking.JPGBar Frets.JPGFront Finish.JPGHole Finish.JPGSide.JPG

Last edited:
I'm not sure how to resist this, Dan..

I'm not sure how to resist this, Dan..

You must buy this uke, peewee. (Waves gold watch on chain in front of his face). You are sleepy, but your wallet is more awake than ever.

You must buy this uke, peewee. (Waves gold watch on chain in front of his face). You are sleepy, but your wallet is more awake than ever.

hahaha...I think it's working as I'm getting sleepy!! Wait a minute, it's supposed to work on Peewee!!

Last edited:
Would it be a Jason Wolverton Custom Tenor?

smart move my brother...you won't regret it...but his list growing...haha
I might be on it again next year....

Would it be a Peter Hurney Pohaku Custom Tenor?

smart move my brother...you won't regret it... his list is not growing bc he's so reclusive...haha
I might be on it again next year, if he feels like making one...

Dan, I would send that thing to Kerry Char in Portland and have him modernize it for you.

Tom, the author of the Martin Book said that there was only around 700 made pre-1932 so rare

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom