ODDS and SODS

Ken Middleton

Reaction score
Here's a couple of snippets from recordings made on a recent visit to Lucca, Italy.

So who can name both tunes? The second one is a bit tricky, but I have played it before.

First one is Johnny Has Gone for a Soldier. I think it's from an older Irish tune. No idea on number two, but love them both! Thanks Ken.

Last edited:
Hi Ken.I bought my first uke today.And also joined this forum.Just want to say that coming across your youtube page was one of the main factors in me wanting to get a uke. I'm a guitar player and when I saw the great stuff were doing on a uke it convinced me to get one.
Cheers from Australia.

First one is Johnny Has Gone for a Soldier. I think it's from an older Irish tune. No idea on number two, but love them both! Thanks Ken.

Not quite correct, I'm afraid. Though you are right in that it is an old Irish tune originally.

Hi Ken.I bought my first uke today.And also joined this forum.Just want to say that coming across your youtube page was one of the main factors in me wanting to get a uke. I'm a guitar player and when I saw the great stuff were doing on a uke it convinced me to get one.
Cheers from Australia.

That's good to know. Hope you enjoy your playing. Thanks.

Thanks for sharing these, Ken! I love the first one - The Minstrel Boy..... second one, not heard that before. But they both sound SO good - that limited edition uke you play sounds wonderful, Ken. I know you've got Living Waters on it, too - I didn't used to like spruce-tops but I've changed my mind since hearing good ones played live by good players like yourself!

Thanks for sharing these, Ken! I love the first one - The Minstrel Boy..... second one, not heard that before. But they both sound SO good - that limited edition uke you play sounds wonderful, Ken. I know you've got Living Waters on it, too - I didn't used to like spruce-tops but I've changed my mind since hearing good ones played live by good players like yourself!

Thanks. As you know, this uke is a bit blingy for my liking, but it is loud and crystal clear. Yes, I put my strings on everything I play. the spruce top goes very well with maple, almost always. It does have a lot of treble, but that rather adds to the clarity.

And yes, you are right about the first one, though it does have a rather different Irish title. The second one is the instrumental section of a song I like. I have played it before quite a few times.

The Minstrel boy was in a TV or movie sound track that I couldn't think of until just this second I think Miles O'Brien sang it on a Star Trek Next Gen episode, gawd does that make me a nerd !

Top Bottom