found on doorstep a while back (Kanilea content)

darylcrisp

Reaction score
slothead tenor
the new satin finish
backward tilt saddle for intonation
bone saddle just finished last night-works mucho better
"tone sand" headstock and fretboard inlay
sound is soulful, strong, organic

Last edited:
Lovely tenor. That is particularly nice koa.

Kanile'a makes an awesome instrument.

Sound sample please. What strings do you have on it?

strings are worth CH-like them a lot on this tenor. have tried daddario nylon and T2, worth CT, Aquila, Daniel Ho PHD, and the Oasis test tenor set.
favorites so far are the PHD, Oasis, and worth CH.

d

The koa on that is stunning. I hope your Kanilea tenor brings you lots of enjoyment.

thanks folks

I love slotheads on anything, when I saw this I had already been prowling the HMS website and determined by the soundsamples that I loved the Kanilea tone.

I like the bridge pin setup a lot-makes string changes quick and easy-plus the holes are slotted so the strings fit in and "latch" in place so to speak. the Uke is very musical up to the 15th fret-higher up it goes plunky-still okay but takes a swift change from sustain and ringing notes to "plunk". Harmonics are strong on the 7th, 12th, and 19th frets. The 5th will ring but are very string dependant(Worth CH bring'm out the best on this Uke).

Feels weightless at 1.2 lbs(digital scale). Reacts to string brands/ tensions highly-which is good IMO.

The one area I would love to have been changed would be the fretwire size. I really like larger wire and I've come to find that Kanilea uses the smallest of the K brands evidently. Its still fine, I just prefer larger.

Called and spoke with a lady at Kanilea regarding some questions I had(she had immediate answers and provided the info I inquired about-impressive). The tuners are made for Kanilea by Grover. They are very smooth, lithe turning, and hold tuning well.

I like the neck profile and width a lot. Out of the 3 tenors I have, its my favorite.
very well pleased with this purchase.

d

Awesome! A concert size at the top of my want list.

Love the Slothead!

I have to say the Kanilea's are sounding pretty sweet. May be my next K purchase.

Nice! I have never seen the satin on their slothead before. It looks very interesting against the ebony and sand--almost looks unfinished. "Tone sand" is a great name, btw.

Top Bottom