Can I?

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have T2 strings that say concert size on the package. They are way long enough for my tenor (where I would like to try them) but Will the tension be wrong and not sound right??? Any string authorities out there that can help? Thanks!

The gauges will be different. It wouldnt sound right Id think. But Im not sure. You can use lighter gauges on a guitar without issue. I guess my 2 cents would be it would work but youd be handicapping your tenor a bit. Then again it might sound awesome. No way to know but to try eh?

Thank OT. I was wondering what the differences in the strings are. I mean are they the same gauges just longer for the different size ukes????

You are free to try them. It won't break your instrument. IIRC, Worth strings have the same size for concert and soprano. So going up or down a size probably wouldn't do any harm.

The only really different gauge string is the A, which differs by only 4 thousandths of an inch. The C differs by 1 thousandth, and G and E are the same gauge between concert and tenor. You may or may not like them, but nothing bad is gonna happen.

Tenor: •String Gauges: Titanium .029, .033, .041, .029

Concert: •String Gauges: Titanium .025, .033, .040, .029

Longer scales have thicker strings because of the physics (yadda, yadda, yadda) and might feel a little thin under the fingertips from what you're accustomed to. But it shouldn't hurt - it's like using light or extra light strings on a guitar.

Using lighter gauge strings than standard will have an effect on the intonation. There will be a tendency for lighter than standard strings to flatten the intonation. This may be a good thing, it may not be a good thing. It depends on how well setup your instrument is. Electric guitarists change string gauges all the time but its much easier to adjust the saddles to compensate for any changes to intonation.

Anthony

Thanks for all the help. I am just going to buy tenor size since the gauges are different.

there's not a heck of a lot of difference, some strings are even the same, even from soprano to tenor...strings might have more? tension going from smaller to the bigger size...i.e. putting concert strings on a tenor.

I even had the same question, except concerning putting concert Aquilas on my soprano...

Top Bottom