Has anyone tried Ricks Dtar pickup....

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've heard it takes two 9V batteries and a outside inline amp, and how do they preform?...and who sells them anyways??

Hey Stan, I have one in my CR. according to my professional musician friends it is awesome. They throw around phrases like "tons of headroom" "true sound" "no quacking" and other terms I'm clueless about.

The battery pack holds two 9V batteries and it supplies power to the pick up with a stereo cable. One part of the stereo cable supplies power and the other part carries the signal out. There is a mono cord from the battery pack to the amp.

You should PM Rick.

I wonder why you asking questions...hehe

Hey Stan, I have one in my CR. according to my professional musician friends it is awesome. They throw around phrases like "tons of headroom" "true sound" "no quacking" and other terms I'm clueless about.

The battery pack holds two 9V batteries and it supplies power to the pick up with a stereo cable. One part of the stereo cable supplies power and the other part carries the signal out. There is a mono cord from the battery pack to the amp.
Aloha Gary,
there is the outside amp battery pack box, and it has four screws....do you unscrew the back to get to the batteries....hmm thank you

Aloha Gary,
there is the outside amp battery pack box, and it has four screws....do you unscrew the back to get to the batteries....hmm thank you

Yup.

Sounds like someone got a CR with a pickup:).

Don't plug it in wrong!

Me have a compass rose ? nope just looking and trying how to figure how these things works....hee hee
@ gary I guess you will need two cables then?

Last edited:
Me have a compass rose ? nope just looking and trying how to figure how these things works....hee hee

Stan you going to be a Compass Rose brother with me and Gary? and Gillian and Mark haha

You should PM Rick.
I thought he modified it so that it only takes a couple of AAs? I would love to learn more about it...

I thought he modified it so that it only takes a couple of AAs? I would love to learn more about it...

Hey CJ I thought you liked the LR Baggs for your MB?
maybe Stan can show it to you on your next trip...hehe

I think Rick's D-TAR pickup sounds really good with my Roland AC-33. Much truer sound than with the MiSi that I have in my Kamaka.

I didn't like all those cables lying around so I devised a neater set-up. A short 6" patch cable, a Velcro stick-on and voila!

CR set-up.jpg

Last edited:
I learned that you can't leave any cable plugged into the battery box jacks or you'll drain the batteries.

I left the 6" patch cable plugged into the "mono" jack when I put it in the gig bag. When I went to use it last night at our uke meeting...nothing. I eliminated the stereo cable as the culprit so I figured it was the batteries. I'm glad I put spare batteries in the gig bag and carry a Swiss Army knife that has a screwdriver blade!

I was then thinking maybe Rick could make the battery box a little less unwieldy:

- A hinged closure would be easier than having to remove four screws.

- How about using a quick charge capacitor instead of batteries? It would mean one more hole drilled in the box for the charge adapter but it would certainly make things easier for the user. It would also be more eco friendly. I hate throwing batteries in the landfills.

John Mayer is playing the Rick Turner model I want. Same like Lindsey Buckingham. I love this tone for electric, Rick nailed it.

John Mayer is playing the Rick Turner model I want. Same like Lindsey Buckingham. I love this tone for electric, Rick nailed it.

Maybe John Mayer is carrying extra batteries in his cargo pants pockets in case his roadie forgot to unplug the cables leading into the battery box. ;)

Seriously, I'm proud to own one of Rick's instruments. Next uke on my wish list: a CR nano-jumbo concert--Adi spruce top with Brazilian rosewood or cocobolo.

I think Rick's D-TAR pickup sounds really good with my Roland AC-33. Much truer sound than with the MiSi that I have in my Kamaka.

I didn't like all those cables lying around so I devised a neater set-up. A short 6" patch cable, a Velcro stick-on and voila!

View attachment 55591

I was going to adapt my battery pack to attach to my belt, that way I don't have to search for a long, and expensive stereo chord for any future stage dives:)

Maybe John Mayer is carrying extra batteries in his cargo pants pockets in case his roadie forgot to unplug the cables leading into the battery box. ;)

Seriously, I'm proud to own one of Rick's instruments. Next uke on my wish list: a CR nano-jumbo concert--Adi spruce top with Brazilian rosewood or cocobolo.

I'm contemplating a short scale acoustic guitar. Maybe using the new baritone body? Can it be done? Rick?

Yes Gillian...two CR's better than one...
take care my CR sister....

Yeah Andrew..
one of Rick's more famous guitars... The Model 1...
Lindsey Buckingham's favorite guitar....with a rotating pickup...as usual Rick way ahead of the curve in the 70's even...

Top Bottom