Best ukulele repair folks in the continental US?

Eyeguy

Reaction score
Are there any repair folks out there that are generally recognized as being among the best? I live in North Carolina but given that it's a uke we are talking about, shipping back and forth is not a major drawback. Many thanks!

Any specifics? Is the manufacturer definitely eliminated from competition? I would trust any repair shop that is recognized by a major guitar brand, but Gryphon Strings is definitely near the top of any list. Prices might be on the high side, but I trust them to do a great job. That trust is worth a premium.

I agree with Tiger.

I heard that Willie Nelson sent his beat up, full-o-holes guitar to Rick Turner to have the top glued back on. If true, that's an endorsement for Rick's repair skills, plus he makes pretty good ukuleles.

I agree with Tiger.

I heard that Willie Nelson sent his beat up, full-o-holes guitar to Rick Turner to have the top glued back on. If true, that's an endorsement for Rick's repair skills, plus he makes pretty good ukuleles.
Yes, Rick is a legend and if he is willing to do the job, I wouldn't hesitate to send it to him.

I think the chances of a poor outcome are increased with round trip shipping, and that there must be outstanding luthiers out there in the Doc Watson State..?
I would ask some of the custom guitar builders who are based in your area

I agree with Tiger.

Since you mentioned Rick Turner and Willie Nelson. I think there's a few other people you might have heard from.

http://www.neelyguitars.com/

Rick Turner swears by Franks Ford at Gryphon in Palo Alto...but I would use Rick in a second too...

Do all luthiers know how to repair any stringed instrument?

Is a ukulele build so similar to a guitar that an impressive place like Dave Neely's (in nongdam's link above) could easily do uke repairs, or are there differences that would make one seek out a luthier that has experience fixing ukuleles?

Is a ukulele build so similar to a guitar that an impressive place like Dave Neely's (in nongdam's link above) could easily do uke repairs, or are there differences that would make one seek out a luthier that has experience fixing ukuleles?

Good question Gillian...

I would trust Rick and Frank Ford any day...before I met Rick I had a question on my pre-fire Maui Music and Rick told me to go to Frank Ford at Gryphon..since he knew where I lived...that was good enough for me..Rick said that Frank is one of the best luthiers in the World...

but now I have it made(living in Hawaii)...MGM can do all kinds of repairs and so many ukulele luthiers on the Island and if something really bad happened I could beg Andrew for help...haha

Oh and by the way.... Stan pretty good at setups and repairs too....

take care my CR sister

Last edited:

He's done many uke repairs and restoration and that's who RT recommended for Los Angeles as they worked together at Westwood Music. If I lived in the bay area, I would take it to Gryphon.

As long as you don't live in the boonies, I'm sure you can find a reputable luthier. Just ask what experience they have with ukuleles.

Last edited:
Yes what are the iukulele issues....that is most important, in your area there are many a couple states away...

Thanks folks for all the replies. I am most familiar with Frank Ford through the vintage guitar world - his reputation is stellar. The 80+ year old uke in question will need a new bridge and some crack repairs. I am familiar with many guitar luthiers but not as much for uke luthiers.

My Kamaka was fixed by MaCabes 20 years ago and refinised and the top was crushed, it was the best job I've ever seen done and it is still one of cleanest repair jobs I've seen done
Another is a authorized martin dealer in hawaii who refinished my martin back and replaced the missing piece of the crack, he matched the stain and it is almost unseen unless told..he also fixed
my martin tenor headstock..
Yours is not too bad, just a refinish and glue the bridge on....can I ask what brand of uke it is....

Last edited:
Top Bottom