• 3 months: Ohana, Mainland, etc.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • 4-5 months: Pono

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • 6 months: Godin, Pono Solid Body

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • 9-12 months: Pono Classic

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • 9-12 montshs Small Builder (Makapilli, Ono, Covered Bridge, etc.)

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • 12-14 months: K-brand

Votes: 29 35.4%
  • 13-14mos: Mya Moe Tradition

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • 17-18mos: Mya Moe Classic

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • 2 yrs+: Premium Builder (Moore, Turner, Koolau custom, Breedlove, etc.)

Votes: 20 24.4%

• Total voters

Jim Hanks

Reaction score
Let's say you had a perfectly good laminate, well set up, tenor, but wanted something "nicer". Let's further say you could save $100 per month toward this nicer tenor. How long would you be willing to wait before making a purchase?

Sticking to the $100 per month saving (and not considering robbing a bank), I think there'd be two plateaus, one at 4-5 months, another at 10-12. $400-$500 can get you a decent solid-top tenor I think, but if you can endure past that might as well save for something real nice.

I think I would convince myself to start saving for 12-14 months, and then I would end up buying a used Pono PC, someone's cast-off custom, or a K brand off the marketplace for half the price in about half that time.

Save $300 for a Mya-Moe deposit and then you'll have a 11-12 month wait (savings period) for a $1400 -$1500 awesome instrument.

I've seen a number of great Pono's you'd only have to save 3 1/2 months for.

After new kids comment, you should really rethink this. Save for the deposit then save while you wait for your build to start. I just got a Boat Paddle uke for around $800 built with the woods I wanted. You have a ton of options> Have fun

I'm actually going the deposit route them save for the custom. It's not a mya-moe though (don't like them enough to purchase).

Let's say you had a perfectly good laminate, well set up, tenor, but wanted something "nicer". Let's further say you could save $100 per month toward this nicer tenor. How long would you be willing to wait before making a purchase?

I bought my CR as a present to myself for a benchmark birthday so I'll have to say 50 years:)

Good advice.

I can't justify it, but I voted for the Pono route. They're obviously not as good as many others mentioned, but they're just so damn reliable.

One other consideration: buy used.

Good luck with it.

Where would Keli'i fit in this scenario? (If it does, that is...)

Well, considering mine would be a concert (I don't like tenors, ha) it will take about a year for a really nice one, at that rate....fine with me, I've waited this long...

I was hoping this would be a thought provoking thread!

I have thought of newkids idea, but would mean committing pretty early. Davidrboy has a good idea that doesn't involve early commitment as long as you're not extremely picky about what pops up. Rem50 has a good option as well and you can probably tell from my signature line which way I'm leaning. I agree with the comment about "so many options". And I haven't completely discounted the first option. Ok, maybe I have. :)

Save your money and buy in the marketplace a premimum uke..jump as soon as possible, when you see a great deal as it won't last long....LOL
I've learned well, that the uke you dream of will eventually come up for sale, if it is too expensive the first time pass, it will come along again....well maybe high end customs don't count..

Last edited:
It seems to me that the $500-$800 range is the sweet spot. Buying used, blems, or from small builders you can get some amazing ukes in this range. Since your question assumes that you currently have a laminate I would definitely opt for this price range. Now if you already have several in this range then saving up for a compass rose makes more sense.

You can "buy your way up" or you can just save and buy at the top. I think you come out ahead financially if you just save for that "grail uke" rather than buy a bunch of nice stuff. Of course, I recommend buying used, too. With uke prices on the rise, buying used is a really good deal. I've seen very good deals in the Marketplace lately.

I'm still waiting for my next Compass Rose, and it's been 1 1/2 years...

Oh, s**! I have to build it myself!

Yeah, I'm at least at that point. However long any of my customers are waiting, I can assure them that I wait longer for mine!

Next up: a 14 fret tenor in my "traditional" shape. Then a 14 fret micro jumbo tenor. Then a mini jumbo octave uke. Then a Bb tenor...

You can "buy your way up" or you can just save and buy at the top. I think you come out ahead financially if you just save for that "grail uke" rather than buy a bunch of nice stuff. Of course, I recommend buying used, too. With uke prices on the rise, buying used is a really good deal. I've seen very good deals in the Marketplace lately.

good advice CJ

I am always interested in your thoughts...on this subject
I think I know how you voted above...haha

Zero months. (I've already saved up my uke bucks. I'm just waiting for the right classic Martin to make its way into my hands.)

Top Bottom