Who is from Ohio?

ukemunga

Reaction score
Where in Ohio?

Interested in a Sat/Sun camp & play event?

Speak up, please.

Thanks,
Fred

EDIT: Re the camping... I see that as totally optional if you want to drive home after or head to a motel. Sunday would be totally unorganized except for breakfast. Just group jams or whatever. Lots to do there I think. And Saturday, nothing formal, no "workshops" or big deal performances. Maybe a set time period for "Open Mic" with a small amp(s) and PA (nothing overly loud) with a signup sheet for "x" songs each. Or not. Group jam(s). Hanging out. BS'ing, whatever.

Last edited:
Hi, Fred. I guess you're the only UUer from Ohio. Steve.

Hi, Fred. I guess you're the only UUer from Ohio. Steve.

Tell you what, Steve... I'm beginning to think Ohio is a vast Ukulele wasteland. But I know there are groups in Cleveland, Cincinnatti, Mansfield, Dayton and certainly other places.

Maybe most just aren't UUers or don't like to have a party. I'm going to try to reach each group/club directly.

I don't know about any others, but I think a "mini UWC" would be a grand time.

I'm in Ohio. I'm just not into camping and I don't play in groups (because I'm shy and my playing stinks). :( I joined a Meetup group but I have yet to get up the nerve to actually show my face.

Ohio is a vast ukulele wasteland. I just visited my local Guitar Center and Sam Ash over the weekend to try out different sizes of ukes. The only one I found in the stores that was even remotely in tune was a Lanikai pineapple. God only knows how long it had been there.

I've passed word along to the Cleveland Jumping Flea group via Facebook, but you should definitely appeal to them directly yourself (via Facebook or Meetup.com).

As for myself, I'm just too damn busy to do it, but it does sound fun.

Declaring someplace a ukulele wasteland because you went to a Guitar Center is like calling someplace a gastronomic wasteland because you went to McDonald's.

I'm hoping you didn't visit the Sam Ash and Guitar Center in Cleveland and pass by Motter's Music which is just down the street from them. They're the prime uke carriers in Cleveland.
If you're in Columbus, try Bluegrass Musican's Supply on S. High St.
If you're in Cinci, God help you, but I'm sure there are a couple of good music stores down there too.

Sure, Fred. But, as seen in the two NCUBJ's, timing, travel, and facilities are the hook. Can we camp, can we consume alcohol, do we have to pay?
As far as playing ability,...not an issue, I ain't comin' to hear me, I'm comin' to hear you. Hope you feel the same way.
R
* Lemme' qualify that,...they shot the banjo player in Cold Mountain. Err...never mind...

Last edited:
I've passed word along to the Cleveland Jumping Flea group via Facebook, but you should definitely appeal to them directly yourself (via Facebook or Meetup.com).

As for myself, I'm just too damn busy to do it, but it does sound fun.

Declaring someplace a ukulele wasteland because you went to a Guitar Center is like calling someplace a gastronomic wasteland because you went to McDonald's.

I'm hoping you didn't visit the Sam Ash and Guitar Center in Cleveland and pass by Motter's Music which is just down the street from them. They're the prime uke carriers in Cleveland.
If you're in Columbus, try Bluegrass Musican's Supply on S. High St.
If you're in Cinci, God help you, but I'm sure there are a couple of good music stores down there too.

LOL that's very true, I'll try Bluegrass. I'd never heard of them, the independent shops I know of around here still sell Lanikais and Kalas. :( The age of the ukes at Sam Ash was really more my point more than the quality; clearly they don't have a lot of turnover. (Guitar Center had two ukes.)

Last edited:
When and where are the big hindrances for me. I'm down in Portsmouth, which means I'm probably looking at a minimum 2 hour drive for any kind of get together (e.g. 2 hours to Cincy, or Dayton, or Columbus, or even the Hocking Hills).

When and where are the big hindrances for me. I'm down in Portsmouth, which means I'm probably looking at a minimum 2 hour drive for any kind of get together (e.g. 2 hours to Cincy, or Dayton, or Columbus, or even the Hocking Hills).

I'm open to anyplace in the middle of the state. A 2-hour drive is not bad for a 2-day event. I just happened to find that Mohican place and it sounded ideal except for the location.

I drive ~1 1/2 hrs. in the Winter months to stand in a river for ~2-3 hrs., then drive back home. Just sayin'.
R

I am from Ohio. But I dont live there any more. There is a group in the dayton area I think. I have seen posts for dayton area meetups somewhere. Good luck with getting this thing going.

I'm in Ohio. I'm just not into camping and I don't play in groups (because I'm shy and my playing stinks). :( I joined a Meetup group but I have yet to get up the nerve to actually show my face.

Ohio is a vast ukulele wasteland. I just visited my local Guitar Center and Sam Ash over the weekend to try out different sizes of ukes. The only one I found in the stores that was even remotely in tune was a Lanikai pineapple. God only knows how long it had been there.

Don't know where you are in OH but if it's not a bad day trip you could come hang out, listen, BS and have some fun. Uke peeps is good peeps!

I've passed word along to the Cleveland Jumping Flea group via Facebook, but you should definitely appeal to them directly yourself (via Facebook or Meetup.com).As for myself, I'm just too damn busy to do it, but it does sound fun.

Thanks for that, will post both places. And, c'mon... if it's at that Mohican place i posted (which isn't a state park, everybody) you're not too far away to spend a little time on a Saturday maybe.

Im from Ohio dude, right up near Toledo.......Youre right, it is a uke wasteland here.........I do enjoy camping..I think Mohican is just north of Columbus, yes?

Im from Ohio dude, right up near Toledo.......Youre right, it is a uke wasteland here.........I do enjoy camping..I think Mohican is just north of Columbus, yes?

http://www.mohicanadventures.com/

Loudonville.

FROM TOLEDO – Take US Route 75 South to US Route 30 East, then US Route 60 south to Loudonville. Pick up St. Rt. 3 south in Loudonville, follow that south of town 1.5 miles to Mohican Adventures.

I'm open to anyplace in the middle of the state. A 2-hour drive is not bad for a 2-day event. I just happened to find that Mohican place and it sounded ideal except for the location.
True enough. And the Mohican region is pretty in the fall (I went to college near there for a couple years, a couple decades ago). Still, a lot will depend on the date.

Hi - This is my first ever post on this site, hope i'm doing it right!? Anywho, I know what you mean about ukes at the megastores. I did discover, just today, that Woodsies in Kent carries a large line of Ohana ukes. I am looking to upgrade from my Ohana BK-10 (my first so I'll always be in love with it). Their website showed only Ohanas but they had a large inventory of them.

"I went to college near there for a couple years,"
AU,....Wooooooster....?
R

Top Bottom