Kala Solid Acacia Tenor vs Oscar Schmidt OU27OSK Koa Concert

SeaArtNancy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
I'm a total beginner and just started playing and taking Uke lessons 3 months ago....needless to say I'm hooked! My question is this: My first Uke is a Kala Solid Acacia Tenor set up for a lefty. It's really a sweet uke and I'm having alot of fun with it! A friend of mine came over to strum and she has an Oscar Schmidt solid Koa concert. I really liked the warm mellow tones of her uke (and she was a much more accomplished player)...I like to play solo fingerstyle and strumming songs- leaning more towards pop rock if that helps.... I'm considering buying the same Oscar as my friend and found a good deal on EBay. Am I taking a step up in quality? Is this just a lateral move? OR should I save me $$$ and buy a solid Koa from one of the Hawaiian makers?
Thanks so much for any input!!!!
Have a happy day!!!!!
Nancy

I'm not an expert, but it sounds lateral. I would recommend saving up for a KoAloha. Mine are both exceptional and worth the wait.

Oh...save up your money and get a real nice "K" brand uke!! You will not be sorry!!!!!!!

Definitely a mostly lateral move. Save your money a little longer and go for something nice - if you're patient you will probably find a good deal on a used Hawaiian uke or something of that caliber here in the marketplace.

I think a lot of the "UAS" phenomena (not all of it, some people really are "afflicted") is really just people buying too many "lesser" ukes too soon. As long as you've got a good uke just stick with it and the longer you wait the more exposure you will have had to the various options - less chance of spending lots of money on ukes that end up not doing much but keeping their cases from floating away...

John

You might get the warmer tones you want by changing strings on your Kala. Most come with Aquilas- not sure about the Acacias. There are lots to choose from and lots of opinions here on UU. Worth Browns maybe? Or I like Southcoast Mediums.

:agree: That OS is gorgeous because it has a very thick, glossy finish among other things. I think that with the right strings, your Kala will sound as mellow and sweet as you want it to. You can get that Kala to sound mellow like the OS< but you'll never get the OS to sound like the Kala, which can sound bright or mellow, or in-between.

Top Bottom