PDA

View Full Version : Kala Solid Acacia Tenor vs Oscar Schmidt OU27OSK Koa Concert

SeaArtNancy
07-09-2013, 04:08 AM
Hi Everyone!
I'm a total beginner and just started playing and taking Uke lessons 3 months ago....needless to say I'm hooked! My question is this: My first Uke is a Kala Solid Acacia Tenor set up for a lefty. It's really a sweet uke and I'm having alot of fun with it! A friend of mine came over to strum and she has an Oscar Schmidt solid Koa concert. I really liked the warm mellow tones of her uke (and she was a much more accomplished player)...I like to play solo fingerstyle and strumming songs- leaning more towards pop rock if that helps.... I'm considering buying the same Oscar as my friend and found a good deal on EBay. Am I taking a step up in quality? Is this just a lateral move? OR should I save me $$$ and buy a solid Koa from one of the Hawaiian makers?
Thanks so much for any input!!!!
Have a happy day!!!!!
Nancy

hibiscus
07-09-2013, 05:32 AM
I'm not an expert, but it sounds lateral. I would recommend saving up for a KoAloha. Mine are both exceptional and worth the wait.

SeaArtNancy
07-09-2013, 05:37 AM
Thanks so much!!!!!!

molokinirum
07-09-2013, 08:10 AM
Oh...save up your money and get a real nice "K" brand uke!! You will not be sorry!!!!!!!

OldePhart
07-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Definitely a mostly lateral move. Save your money a little longer and go for something nice - if you're patient you will probably find a good deal on a used Hawaiian uke or something of that caliber here in the marketplace.

I think a lot of the "UAS" phenomena (not all of it, some people really are "afflicted") is really just people buying too many "lesser" ukes too soon. As long as you've got a good uke just stick with it and the longer you wait the more exposure you will have had to the various options - less chance of spending lots of money on ukes that end up not doing much but keeping their cases from floating away...

John

Kayak Jim
07-09-2013, 01:16 PM
You might get the warmer tones you want by changing strings on your Kala. Most come with Aquilas- not sure about the Acacias. There are lots to choose from and lots of opinions here on UU. Worth Browns maybe? Or I like Southcoast Mediums.

PhilUSAFRet
07-09-2013, 01:27 PM
:agree: That OS is gorgeous because it has a very thick, glossy finish among other things. I think that with the right strings, your Kala will sound as mellow and sweet as you want it to. You can get that Kala to sound mellow like the OS< but you'll never get the OS to sound like the Kala, which can sound bright or mellow, or in-between.