new pegs/tuners for a old Martin, recommendations please.

srpompon

Reaction score
Aloha!

i received last week a nice 1940 Martin style 1, this one have not-original (but antique) pegs, now i want to change this pegs for a new one (modern ones) because i dont like use a screwdriver each day to adjust the tuners, any good recomendation? i see some nice Grover champion in ebay, this one are the best option? any better?

thanks!

Ivan

To keep the look of the old pegs, and their light weight, an answer is PEGHEDS.
They are anodized aluminum shafts and tool grade steel gears inside. Tim wrote a review of them at www.ukeeku.com There are two different lengths of the shaft.
The shorter one is 19mm from the end of the threads which are flush with the front side of the headstock, back to the base of the button. The longer one is 27mm long from the same point to other end point. PEGHEDS are made in the USA of USA material. They are warranted by the maker for the life of the instrument when they are properly installed. There is a chinese knock-off sold by Music 123/ Musician's Friend. It cost a little less but is only warranted to perform properly for 45 days. They do not need to be installed by a professional. I do think it is a good idea to practice on a piece of wood of the same thickness as the headstock of the ukulele. If you have any questionslet me know in a private message or write me at thecraftedcow@comcast.net

There are a couple of music store who sell them for $70 to $80 a set plus shipping.
My price is $54 a set with $5.20 for insured First Class mail

www.pegeds.net

Last edited:
thanks! i want to try the pegheds... pm sent TheCraftedCow

thanks all!

I would go with Grover 4b or 4w . Excellent tuners and they look correct. I would not use pegheads . IMHO .

Top Bottom