schoenhut flakes available again

bnolsen

Reaction score
looks like the schoenhut "flake" ukuleles (5400 series) are back in stock. I ordered one originally last october and finally got a notice for shipment. It seems other sites are showing availability as well. I found it humorous the ODU beat the flake to my door by such a wide margin.

Last edited:
as much as I dislike the blatant ripoff, it's a cheap ukulele for a kid and the Schoenhut people have actually been very nice to me. I bought a Jaymar toy piano awhile back at an antique store that needed a new key. The Schoenhut folks actually tracked down an old key for me and shipped it to me completely free of charge. It wasn't even a toy piano that they made, so it was pretty cool.

as much as I dislike the blatant ripoff, it's a cheap ukulele for a kid and the Schoenhut people have actually been very nice to me. I bought a Jaymar toy piano awhile back at an antique store that needed a new key. The Schoenhut folks actually tracked down an old key for me and shipped it to me completely free of charge. It wasn't even a toy piano that they made, so it was pretty cool.

Are you sure it's a blatant ripoff? I'm not so sure. Could very easily be under license.

If it were done under license, that probably would have come up in the thread last spring/summer. But maybe not. Or, things can change in a year.

If it were done under license, that probably would have come up in the thread last spring/summer. But maybe not. Or, things can change in a year.

this was posted June 2012 at Flea Market bulletin Board:

Posted By: Ukulele Rob Date: 6/10/2012 4:07:55 PM
Folks at Magic Fluke Co. have been kind enough to update me: It's not actually a "rip-off." It is indeed an offshore-made copy, with Schoenhut and Magic Fluke in discussions about licensing, but the ones that ended up for sale somehow leaked into the market before the ink was dry on the deal. As I understand the situation, there will be a legal "toy" Flea-ish 'uke from Schoenhut for the children's market, suitably differentiated from the American-made Flea, but marketed in a way that increases 'ukulele visibility overall and benefits both companies.

Like the OP said, they do seem to be available again through various outlets which leads me to believe a licensing agreement has been struck.

Last edited:
I had a few of them. They are nice tits. Better than the first act sold for kids but nowhere near approaching a flea.

SO, how does the "flake" compare to the ODU? :)

looks like the schoenhut "flake" ukuleles (5400 series) are back in stock. I ordered one originally last october and finally got a notice for shipment. It seems other sites are showing availability as well. I found it humorous the ODU beat the flake to my door by such a wide margin.

this was posted June 2012 at Flea Market bulletin Board:

Posted By: Ukulele Rob Date: 6/10/2012 4:07:55 PM
Folks at Magic Fluke Co. have been kind enough to update me: It's not actually a "rip-off." It is indeed an offshore-made copy, with Schoenhut and Magic Fluke in discussions about licensing, but the ones that ended up for sale somehow leaked into the market before the ink was dry on the deal. As I understand the situation, there will be a legal "toy" Flea-ish 'uke from Schoenhut for the children's market, suitably differentiated from the American-made Flea, but marketed in a way that increases 'ukulele visibility overall and benefits both companies.

Like the OP said, they do seem to be available again through various outlets which leads me to believe a licensing agreement has been struck.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention! Now I don't have to feel so bad about buying one for my daughter for her birthday. :)

SO, how does the "flake" compare to the ODU? :)

My flake is still in transit. I was seriously considering selling my ODU since I'm gathering too many of these things, but really the ODU is quality for what it is and with the really high frets plays different enough from all my other ukuleles to still have its place.

I had a few of them. They are nice tits. Better than the first act sold for kids but nowhere near approaching a flea.

Hmmm, I guess I'll order two...

I already own a Flea but I ordered one of these for my 8 year old daughter because I wasn't willing to shell out the big bucks for her to start playing a uke in case it was a passing phase. I paid $26 for it, ordered back in February when she first showed interest, and finally got notice last week that it's supposed to arrive shortly, possibly today. I may have also ordered one for myself *cough* just for the heck of it.

As a parent, it was a cheap way to introduce my daughter to the joy of "uke-ing" and she is over the moon about being able to play a ukulele that is similar to my FLEA.

OK I'm intrigued. Where can I order one?

Top Bottom