Worth BT vs Worth CT - Same gauges, but are they the same tension?

Gerald Ross

Reaction score
I've been a CT user for years and am wondering about trying BT. I notice on the Worth website that the CT and BT sets have the same exact gauges.

My question(s): If the gauges are exactly equal, is the tension exactly equal? If all is equal - what is the difference in tone and feel? And how do they achieve this?

I am thinking of experimenting with a lighter tension tenor Worth string. Is the BT set the way to go? Suggestions?

I've tried them, Gerald. I find them a wee bit softer feeling and less bright. But if you want a string that has the same diameter and feels like it has less tension, try Living Waters. To me they feel noticeable softer - seems like less tension. I've tried them on a couple of different instruments with the same result. I'm thinking of them as "summer" strings (i.e., good when the action is a bit higher).

Same tension. Worth just dyes the browns. Maybe they heat up the dye for more warmth??
"Thought vibrations are finer than any other vibrations in the physical world."
oh ya, try the CT-L for lighter

I agree with Doug. I'd definitely try Living Waters, Gerald. Not as bright as the Worth CT's...kinda more like the Browns in sound but with a much nicer feel and less tension.

Thanks Doug, thanks eugene Ukulele, thanks Andrewuker.

I just sent an email to Ken Middleton for information on the strings. I'll report back my findings.

The CTs are starting too feel way to "tight" for me. Yes, they ring out when that tight, but they have less sustain and I can't apply finger vibrato as easily.

Same tension. Worth just dyes the browns. Maybe they heat up the dye for more warmth??
"Thought vibrations are finer than any other vibrations in the physical world."
oh ya, try the CT-L for lighter

I don't see those on your site. Do you have them in stock?

hmm, that might have been a custom set that Mike was ordering because I just looked on their site too. I'll see.
If you can call or email me & we can plan a stop by the workshop too and maybe grab some food! (808)781-9168 andrew@theukulelesite.com

Thanks for the link!

2. According to the material
There are two materials for Clear color and one for Brown color.

Oh, ya, I just saw that. My bad, I was told a while back they were the same but it seems the clear is using two fluorocarbon resins like the DSF line. hmm interesting. Thanks for the link Bill.

I have used worth browns on my tenor. I like the 'thicker' sound that they produce.
I recently purchased a new tenor and used the Living Water low G tenor which I bought from Ken at Wine Country.
They are somewhat thinner diameter, seem to have less tension, and really sing out--brighter than the Worth Browns but not thin or brittle sounding.

Top Bottom