Sorting through Savarez ukulele strings...

Telperion

Reaction score
Hello, All. I know that forum threads abound pertaining to Savarez strings, but I have a couple questions specifically about sorting through part numbers and comparing the newer uke sets to custom sets (like Craig Brandau's and others). I've put together a table comparing string diameters and tensions for the Savarez concert and tenor ukulele sets (140R & 150R), as well as a commonly recommended custom low-G set (that I have seen others on this forum using). Personally, I don't like wound strings on the uke, so I have focused on plain. All of the info in the table was taken from stringsbymail, and this link is my main reference:

http://www.stringsbymail.com/store/...liance-kf-carbon-602/alliance-kf-1-meter-460/

Here is my summary table:
Savarez String Details.jpg

My first question relates to the item numbers. For the two ukulele specific sets (140R & 150R), do I have the correct corresponding individual item numbers? Also, do these correspond to my alternate item #s? It looks to me like they are all Alliance KF strings, and that some are essentially 'rebranded' and sold under different item #'s.

My second question is related to tension. You can see from the table that the tenor set (150R) provides fairly even tension across all four strings, while there is a much greater range of tensions in the concert set (140R). I will also say that I have a tenor and a concert currently set up with these two sets, respectively, and I actually prefer how the concert sounds and feels, making me think that this variation in tension on the concert isn't a big deal. Does anyone here have a better recommendation for a custom Savarez concert set, that might provide more even tension? How about a recommendation for a (non-wound) concert low-G string?

-Steve

Last edited:
Anyone at least have a recommendation for a non-wound Savarez low-G for a concert ukulele?

Thanks,

-Steve

Top Bottom