To strap or not to strap? That is the question

I am using a Uke Leash and I like it.

I've drilled holes and installed strap buttons on all of my ukes, even sopranos (mostly Kamakas). Makes my playing almost 100% better, and has never once been an issue for resale (I've actually made a teeny profit on just about every uke I've sold). I've never understood peoples' reluctance to drill into their ukes!

I strap on my concert and my tenor, always. Not for the Dolphin though as it's so tiny and I rarely play it standing up.

Love using a strap on my Tenor & Concert. Makes it a lot easier playing up the neck.
Just put a piece of tape and a string on yours to test it out and see if you like playing with a strap before you have someone install a strap button.

For me, Mobiusstrap is the way to go.

I've been playing since December 2010 without straps. I just put in an order for a Uke Leash. I've been playing a few new songs (classical) and they require me to let go with my left hand quite frequently, leaving the strings all open, rather than just switching chords. I need a strap. Whether I'll put a button on any of my ukes remains to be seen. I found a great local repair shop in April and would have no qualms having them drill holes into my instruments.

I cannot play without a strap. I bought a couple of camera straps at a yard sale for $1.00 apiece and adapted them to fit my ukes. They work great. Here's a few photos.Kala Strap.JPGKala Strap (2).JPGKala Strap (3).JPG It's my first time trying to post photos. If it didn't work, I apologize.

Yes to strap!

I really struggled to hold my first ukulele (an entry level Kala tenor) and a Uke Leash made a huge difference for me. When I bought my second uke (concert size), I had the seller install a strap button and I purchased an adapter that converted the Uke Leash into a full strap. I'm now on the waiting list for a Mya-Moe, which has 2 strap buttons included in the base price.

I was hesitant to even try a strap and drilling for a button. After reading so many posts about it, it seemed like a good idea for me. Our local shop recommend a Planet Waves leather mandolin strap. I've had one for awhile and like it so well that I just bought another one today for $8.00 cheaper. I also had a Kala nylon strap that I sold with a uke. It was twice as wide as the leather strap is. Guess that I like the narrower width. My wife is using a mobius strap. The main thing for me is that the strap allows me to try and keep my left hand relaxed. YMMV

I only play baritone and tenor ukulele and have a strap on all of them. The 'snakewood' end pins available from Stewart MacDonald have a high end look and add a lot to a uke. Elderly has some that are plastic tortoise shell. The StewMac end pins are visible on the ukes in my profile.

I've had a strap button professionally installed on each of my tenor and baritone ukuleles. I have a concert and a soprano ukulele that don't have strap buttons.

I only use straps on my ukes that have pickups. It may be an unfounded fear, but I don't like the thought of a strap that clips to the soundhole or comes into contact with any part of the uke, causing abrasion of the finish. I use the Neotech mandolin strap for those reasons.

Top Bottom