PDA

View Full Version : A new style of elekstick ukulele comes in 4 different models

AICHIBIMUSIC
07-10-2013, 02:55 PM
http://media-cache-ec2.pinimg.com/736x/03/6e/ea/036eeadcae0a28cd040da408b2985638.jpg

AICHIBI MUSIC presents a new style of high quality electric ukuleles.
You can be the first one to receive this limited edition Elekstick ukulele.
Be a proud part of our history.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aichibi-elekstick-ukulele

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Z233GFKMo

Jim Hanks
07-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Welcome! I don't think Mr.Yun would mind me sharing some more details from our email exchange that fellow UU'ers would be interested in. I had asked about: 1. Effect of wood choice on tone, 2. Action, 3. Crowdfunding and got this response:

Effect on tone: As you already know, different wood species do affect the sound of ukuleles but the difference in our elekstick ukuleles are not as obvious as the traditional hollow ukuleles. So to be on the safe side, I would say the different wood species mainly provide different looks. But I agree that providing sound samples of different models would be a great idea. Thank you for your suggestion.

Action: Our default action is 0.040-0.050"(distance between the string and the fret) or 0.100-0.110"(height) at the 1st fret, and 0.070-0.080"(distance between the string and the fret) or 0.130-0.140"(height) at the 12th fret. For now the action can be adjustable on specific request basis, so if you need the action to be lower, we can adjust it for you.
It can also be done by a player later as long as he/she knows what he/she is doing. :)

Crowdfunding: In case we do not meet the target amount, there will be one of two outcomes. You get your perk(s) or your contribution back.

I have been seriously considering jumping in on this even though it would set back my "real" tenor goal by a couple of months.

AICHIBIMUSIC
07-10-2013, 11:59 PM
Hi Mr. Hanks. I am glad to see you here, and thank you for your post.

bnolsen
07-11-2013, 02:42 AM
This looks unbalanced with the geared tuners and the tiny body. There's more weight in the body to offset this or we're just used to seeing risa sticks?

consitter
07-11-2013, 02:46 AM
I'm betting with the solid body, and the electronics, balance wouldn't be an issue. I would think the balance would be shifted toward the body, if nothing else.

BgmUke
07-11-2013, 05:14 AM
looks interesting, it's like a peanut with a stick's form factor and enough frets to satisfy anyone.
reminds me of my cricket bat though.

Tempting...

Jim Hanks
07-11-2013, 07:21 AM
reminds me of my cricket bat though.

You could use it for that, but probably not recommended. See RAQ #1:

Can I practice Kendo with this elekstick ukulele? – Although it is made of hardwood and resembles a stick, please do not try to hit anybody with it. Ukuleles are for peace.

;)

hoosierhiver
07-11-2013, 07:25 AM
Like I said in the other recent thread about these, It'd be nice if the girl was actually playing the instrument so you'd know what they really sounded like.

BgmUke
07-11-2013, 09:18 AM
Like I said in the other recent thread about these, It'd be nice if the girl was actually playing the instrument so you'd know what they really sounded like.

Yea, would love to hear the uke um-amped, and through some commonly used amps...

Without that, it's hard to shake the impression that this is just another company riding the uke wave.
No offense.

Maybe Jim can make it happen since he's already exchanged emails with the company :p

Jim Hanks
07-11-2013, 11:58 AM
If you look at the response back in #2 above, he does say he liked "the idea of providing sound samples of different models" - so hopefully we'll see some more samples soon. I agree that although the video is cute, it doesn't do much to showcase the actual uke. Some "plainer" samples would be appreciated.

AICHIBIMUSIC
07-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Hello. We are very glad to see that our post is getting some responses :)

bnolsen: Regarding the balance issue, exactly as "consitter" mentioned (Thank you!), with solid body and electronics inside, balance is not an issue. I would like to point out that the body also has a nice 1/16"-thick aluminum back-cover.

hoosierhiver and BgmUke: Your points are all very valid. In fact, our new video is coming soon with a part showing the actual playing of our ukulele. BgmUke, I hope that your temptation is about making a contribution to our campaign, not about playing cricket with it ;)

Mr Hanks: Again, I greatly appreciate your comments.

Jim Hanks
07-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Mr Hanks: Again, I greatly appreciate your comments.

You can call me Jim, BTW. :D

aspieman456
07-12-2013, 04:27 AM
That's cute with her singing and playing.

AICHIBIMUSIC
07-20-2013, 08:56 PM
Hi Jim,

There is a new demonstration video on AICHIBI Elekstick ukulele on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-oiC0A_XC0

I have also submitted a new thread.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?83502-New-AICHIBI-Elekstick-Ukulele-Demonstration-Video&highlight=elekstick

ichadwick
07-21-2013, 05:15 AM
I'm keenly interested in one of these as a solid body and plan to register for an early bird tenor model. I like the plain, crisp design.

I'm not so concerned about sound - it's a piezo pickup and the sound will be created by the amp. I had an Eleuke and without amplification it was just a muted plinking. Same with my Risa and Jupiter steel-string/solid body ukes. It's the amp that determines what listeners hear.

In electric guitars, the body wood is usually chose because it gives some reasonably good sustain (maple is common, which is why some electric guitars are so damned heavy). It matters less with nylon-strings and shorter scales because the amount of energy transmitted through the wood is not likely large enough to matter much to the sound. Any hardwood should work; I think which is more a matter of aesthetics than sound.

I'm more concerned with action, neck ergonomics and intonation. Looking forward to trying and reviewing one.

Johnny GDS
07-21-2013, 06:01 AM
That thing is really cool. Seems like the pricing is pretty good too. Check out this vid of some guitars made out of skateboard decks. I bet this would work well for a uke too!

http://youtu.be/DDD0zesXWG8

UkeKiddinMe
07-21-2013, 07:04 AM
I am interested, and I wrote to the company's email address to offer some design feedback.

I hope there will be a baritone version.

AICHIBIMUSIC
07-22-2013, 01:13 PM
ichadwick: Hi. Thank you for your interest in our Elekstick ukulele. I Hope you have great times playing our ukuleles in the future, and your review will be very valuable to us.

Johnny GDS: Maybe we will try to build one! :)

UkeKiddinMe: We really appreciate your feedback, and we will take your points into consideration in the future. Thank you.