Changing strings.

Ukeplayer2013

Reaction score
Hi!
It's been a month now I've been playing the Uke... Everyday and I was wondering, the strings I got on it are the ones that were on when I bought it and I don't know how long the ukulele was at my music store. So my question would be: Would it be better to change my strings even if I don't know how long the instrument was there?

Thanks!

Hi!
It's been a month now I've been playing the Uke... Everyday and I was wondering, the strings I got on it are the ones that were on when I bought it and I don't know how long the ukulele was at my music store. So my question would be: Would it be better to change my strings even if I don't know how long the instrument was there?

Thanks!

Not unless you have a preference as to what kind of strings you like. Or the strings that came on it just sound bad.

What kind of uke is it, and if you know, what brand of strings came on it?

If you don't like how it sounds like, just change the strings. I changed mine after two weeks because they didn't sound like how I thought an ukulele should sound. :p

The usual change of strings for a dolphin would be aquilas, they will improve the sound and projection of your dolphin no end, I recently have started using Living Water strings which are slightly cheaper than aquilas, softer on the fingers and they really improve the sound of a starter level uke like the dolphin, but the aquilas will be a bit louder, so depends what you want, but those black stock strings are rubbish

Stings are like the voice chords of the uke....it can make a significant amount of difference it the tone and feel of them.

Take care with the little white plastic rings around the tuning pegs on the face of the headstock. They are not glued on or anything. If you remove the string(s) and then turn the uke face down, those little rings will fall off and possibly roll away, never to be found. Don't ask how I know this.

I will watch out for those. Thanks. I'll change them tonight when the kids are in bed. Hehe!!! I'm watching tutorials on the loop at the bottom at the saddle. I think I might be alright.

Yay! I still find it scary, a little bit, but I sometimes do it anyway - I just now put Living Water strings on an Outdoor Uke, and it sounds great!

If you haven't seen this video yet, check it out--it shows a good close-up of the knot at the bridge.

Can this video be sticky noted or something? I wish I had found it when I changed the strings on my Dolphin for the first time!

Top Bottom