PDA

View Full Version : Mainland Ukes - New Ukulele Company

UKISOCIETY
01-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Hoosierhiver's partially responsible for this new uke company. The ukes look pretty sweet: http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/category.sc?categoryId=3

d'uke
01-04-2009, 03:12 PM
wow the red cedar ukes are sweet!

Captain Google
01-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Those are nice. Great find, Alan.

BTWriter
01-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Awesome! I want one!

russ_buss
01-04-2009, 03:20 PM
go hoosierhiver!! lookin good.

SinisterDom
01-04-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm diggin' the mahogany myself. I love the choice of matte or gloss finish.

Tanizaki
01-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Great prices for solid wood instruments. Who wants to buy some and post reviews? :)

gp-ak
01-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Awesome! I like those cedar tops too.

Ukulele Dude
01-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Nice! Looks like you get alot of uke for the prices you pay. Are they made in the USA?

benmealer
01-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Wow, prices look awesome and with all those options I'd feel like I was getting a custom ax. The next time I can justify buying anything you can bet it will be from Mainland. It looks like they're starting out the right way. I saw Mainland Ukuleles on Hoosierhiver's yahoo profile today and was wondering what that was all about. Thanks for the post UKISOCIETY.

Pippin
01-04-2009, 04:52 PM
They look great on the website. I wish them tons of success.

DeG
01-04-2009, 05:54 PM
I was checking this site out a few days ago, but there were no pics at that time. They sure look purdy! :D

RON<>VA
01-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Good looking Ukes! Love the Cedar concert. Wonder if there are any audio samples we can hear??

Ken Middleton
01-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Hoosierhiver's partially responsible for this new uke company. The ukes look pretty sweet: http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/category.sc?categoryId=3

Nice clear website. The ukes look great. Can't wait to see the banjo-uke when it comes in.

UkuLeLesReggAe
01-04-2009, 08:43 PM
red cedar tenor looks great, i wanna know how they sound

they arn't that expensive either

Rock-A-Hula
01-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Wow! Nice site and product line!

Congratulations and Best Wishes for Business Success to Mainland Ukes!!! :music:

tad
01-04-2009, 10:41 PM
I really love the roping on those ukes...

SamWise
01-04-2009, 11:09 PM
They look REALLY nice - love the binding. I do think that Hoosierhiver ought to reconsider the line "The tenor is the largest and deepest pitched of the ukuleles."

Some people will think that means it's tuned differently. I would go for "The tenor is the largest and deepest toned of the ukuleles." It's a small thing, but it will help avoid confusion, and it's technically correct (pitch means the note that it plays)

hoosierhiver
01-05-2009, 04:13 AM
Wow,thanks alot everyone! I'm grinning ear to ear. I agree that I should reword the tenor blurb,great to get some good feedback.

The ukes are made overseas but we finsih the set-up here and check each uke for any buzzes,high action or cosmetic flaws.

I'll have some videos up soon. Thanks again everyone!,Mike

Plainsong
01-05-2009, 04:34 AM
/Homer/ Mmmmm, cedar. /Homer/ :)

bluesuke
01-05-2009, 04:35 AM
Are they available now?

hoosierhiver
01-05-2009, 06:11 AM
Are they available now?

Absolutely,you can call us toll free 1-866-949-UKES

bluesuke
01-05-2009, 05:00 PM
I was wondering if mainland was affiliated with bushman its odd that there are two ukulele co. in Nashville In. They have similar head stock

hoosierhiver
01-06-2009, 06:30 AM
We are not associated with Bushman.

Captain Google
01-06-2009, 07:19 AM
We are not associated with Bushman.

Well, if they offered to join forces with you, would you accept?

Plainsong
01-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Well I don't think that's a question that any business can begin to address on a discussion forum. Besides all the variables involved, it's just not something you'd answer on the internet at all.

Captain Google
01-06-2009, 07:40 AM
I don't really expect him to answer. I just felt like giving him something to ponder.

deach
01-06-2009, 10:10 AM
I don't really expect him to answer. I just felt like giving him something to ponder.

If you read some of HH posts, you'll see he is a former Bushman employee.

Captain Google
01-06-2009, 11:56 AM

Duly noted.

haolejohn
01-06-2009, 04:21 PM
This summer I was down in Pensecola at the P-cola seafood festival and there was a woodworker there that made everything with red cedar and I asked him about ukulele making. He told me he didn't think it would work. Man those are some pretty ukes. IF only I could win the lottery.

Howlin Hobbit
01-08-2009, 07:41 AM

K. This is the second time this has happened (though it wasn't Deach the other time). When saving keystrokes, please refer to hoosierhiver as "hh."

I got no bone to pick with hoosierhiver -- in fact, expect an email from me soon hh -- it's just that after years of seeing myself abbreviated as HH I get this bizarre brain melt whenever I see it and it's not referring to me. I sit here thinking, "When did I say that?" :eek:

Oh! Right. Not me.

*sigh* Need more coffee.

hoosierhiver
01-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Sorry about the brain melt,I don't mind being the lower case hh. ;)

benmealer
01-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Alright HH, I'll call hh "hh" from now on or maybe hoohi if ive got some button presses to spare.

hoosierhiver
01-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Julie was nice enough to give us a write up.

http://ukulelereview.com/

E-Lo Roberts
01-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Julie was nice enough to give us a write up.

http://ukulelereview.com/
Mike, thanks for the review link. Gives me a better insight into you and your new store. Love the look of the store. The logo is great. Having moved to Hawaii in my teens, I had never heard the term "mainland" before. So very cool and appropriate take on the word. The ukulele line is very tasteful with the rope binding. Wish you all the best...e.lo....

ps, see you this summer sometime........

Boozelele
01-11-2009, 10:24 AM
A while ago I was fortunate enough to purchase a Uke from hh when he was the luthier at that "other" company. I dealt only with him on that purchase and had an awesome experience. He set the uke up personally, gave me a great deal, and shipped it the same day. While I have not played a Mainland uke, I can sure vouch for the character of the man.

(incidentally the uke I bought is a cedar topped tenor, with rosewood sides and back. I love it. But more importantly, the buying experience itself was top-notch.)

boozelele :music:

Link
01-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Mike that article was awesome. I can't wait to get myself a Mainland Uke very soon!

LonnaB
01-12-2009, 05:08 AM
I can't wait to see the banjo uke, as well.

One of these beauties is next on my list, for sure!

seeso
01-12-2009, 05:50 AM
UKISOCIETY, with your permission, I'd like to change the name of this thread to "Mainland Ukes - New Ukulele Company," for clarity.

SamWise
01-12-2009, 06:24 AM
Cedar is a long established top wood in guitar and uke making, but people who make bowls and tables don't always know a lot about making instruments.

UKISOCIETY
01-12-2009, 06:41 AM
UKISOCIETY, with your permission, I'd like to change the name of this thread to "Mainland Ukes - New Ukulele Company," for clarity.

Yes, of course!

UKISOCIETY
01-12-2009, 06:52 AM
I used some Christmas money to buy a Mainland Ukulele. I received my Red Cedar concert sized Mainland Ukulele last week, but was only able to see it today for the first time. Short review:

Man! It's pretty! The rope-like binding gives it its own "bling" without having to add bling of your own. The framework inside the body looks solid and strong.The bracing goes all the way from side to side (unlike Mexican Martin S-Os). Glue work is very clean. The geared tuners (gold for me with ebony handles) are beautiful and compliment the yellowish headstock label.

This reminds me very much of my old Bushman Jenny concert I used to own. But it's prettier. The action is better (if memory of my Jenny serves me correctly). I think is has a bigger sound too.

In conclusion, Mike (hoosierhiver): :worship:
I recommend it. Buy one and help an American ukulele company make it. They're wanting to compete with the big guys, so they're obviously putting great effort into the set-up. Take advantage of their desire to impress you and buy one today!!!!

Oh, I will have to add a mahogany Mainland to my collection. The rope binding looks magnificent on the mahoganies.

I will post a video of it soon. I'll let you know in the video section.

UKISOCIETY
01-12-2009, 06:55 AM
Oh, I forgot.

I need to name my Mainland Uke. How about "Tookta"? ;)

hoosierhiver
01-12-2009, 07:03 AM
Oh, I forgot.

My favorite name!

Pete Howlett
01-12-2009, 07:37 AM
All of this proding and poking and forensic discussion just because someone has the guts to have a go at starting a business with a 'cool' name. Really, we should be whole heartedly supporting Mike and his colleagues. I believe all of this is termed 'bitchin' isn't it? I'm not sure about the right nomenclature...

LonnaB
01-12-2009, 07:56 AM
Oh, I forgot.

That's sweet!:)

Link
01-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Aw that's nice, UKI. I'll be getting mine very soon. I think I'll name mine "King Bee".

benmealer
01-12-2009, 12:24 PM
There aren't too many companies that make banjo ukuleles at an accessible price. I bet it will be one of your best sellers.

russ_buss
01-12-2009, 02:23 PM
UPS just delivered mine today and it's pretty dang sweet. i ordered the red cedar soprano with geared tuners. hoosierhiver did a great job setting it up. nice action, intonation is on, no sharp frets, easy to tune, nice glossy finish that doesn't sound dull, aquila strings, smells like strawberries, and loud!

okay, was kind of kidding about the strawberries, although i'm so thrilled about this new uke, i think some weird phantom smells are drifting in from the invisible rainbow outside.

i'll post a video as soon as i learn the gregorian chant arrangement of mmmBop.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=8&pictureid=970

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=8&pictureid=969

haole
01-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Now that is a pretty uke! :O Glad to hear that hh's quality control is top-notch, too. I might have to put the cedar-top tenor on my list, since I won't be able to afford a KoAloha or Kamaka this year. Mainland's prices are too good to pass up!

Link
01-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Great pics russ... I'm so excited for mine. Can't wait to see the video and hear the Mainland!

gp-ak
01-12-2009, 02:44 PM
NICE LUNCHBOX

Uke ain't so bad either. I really like the rope binding.

Captain Google
01-12-2009, 03:39 PM
That ukulele is nice. I'm definitely buying one sometime in the future. I may wait for the banjo uke, though.

BTWriter
01-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Looks like I'll have to make the drive down to the shop at some point.

Though I'll have to wait a few paychecks so I don't make myself destitute.

benmealer
01-12-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm so jealous of you guys.

Plainsong
01-12-2009, 06:27 PM
It's nice to have some more affordable uke options, and this definitely looks different than the rest! :)

Boozelele
01-12-2009, 09:22 PM
UPS just delivered mine today and it's pretty dang sweet.

Are you f'ing kidding me Russ? Now I'm going to have to get one!!! You just missed my birthday Russ....just letting you know. And just in case you were wondering which one I would like, I think the Mahogany Soprano would be cool.....thanks in advance.

russ_buss
01-13-2009, 06:40 AM
here's a quick sound sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Frpdhf6Le0

and boozelele, did you not receive the adult themed cake i ordered for you? it was packaged in a uke case. tenor i believe.

Boozelele
01-13-2009, 07:34 AM
and boozelele, did you not receive the adult themed cake i ordered for you? it was packaged in a uke case. tenor i believe.

Oh, I didnt open that. I was worried a "naked deach' might jump out.

deach
01-13-2009, 07:37 AM
Oh, I didnt open that. I was worried a "naked deach' might jump out.

You are correct. I was in there. I ate all the cake while I was waiting.

Captain Google
01-13-2009, 09:58 AM
That ukulele sounds fantastic. :D

UKISOCIETY
01-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Here's a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH66mw8XZXY) of my red cedar concert from Mainland. Sounds SWEEEEEEET!!

Link
01-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Can't wait to get home to watch that video, Alan.

I keep thinking about my new baby that's on it's way to me right now.. and it's perfect on paper. All solid mahogany tenor, sealed geared tuners, mine has gold tuners and ebony tuning pegs, Aquila strings, the rope binding/inlay stuff, pro setup... It is every exact specification that I want in my main uke. For all that you get, the price is extremely low. This has got to be the best deal in Ukuleles.

I'd like to make a suggestion: a cutaway design with an onboard pickup.

Captain Google
01-13-2009, 04:09 PM
I really can't wait for that Mainland banjo uke. I'm going to have to buy one of the same type in order to stay (reasonably) sane while I wait. :D

fergs1
01-14-2009, 05:50 AM
They certainly look choice, I'd love to give one a crack but the Aussie dollar is so crap that $219 US becomes $340 Au and add another $70 Au for shipping and well....will mainland ukes be thinking of an Australian distributor(yes?)
Alan that song was really beautiful, such a lovely sentiment. I have been blessed with a 4 yr old girl and 17mth old twin boys(i'm a twin myself) and sometimes I am simply overwhelmed with joy and gratitude,(and sometimes i'm just qverwhelmed :o) but I haven't been able to put into song what you have done. I hope Colin is still giving that sopranino a thrashing.
peace and goodwill fergs

UKISOCIETY
01-14-2009, 08:20 AM
They certainly look choice, I'd love to give one a crack but the Aussie dollar is so crap that $219 US becomes $340 Au and add another $70 Au for shipping and well....will mainland ukes be thinking of an Australian distributor(yes?)
Alan that song was really beautiful, such a lovely sentiment. I have been blessed with a 4 yr old girl and 17mth old twin boys(i'm a twin myself) and sometimes I am simply overwhelmed with joy and gratitude,(and sometimes i'm just qverwhelmed :o) but I haven't been able to put into song what you have done. I hope Colin is still giving that sopranino a thrashing.
peace and goodwill fergs

thank you! Colin has his own uke now - a tiny plastic Carnival uke. Thrash away, boy. You're not getting your hands on MY ukes! :)

UKISOCIETY
01-14-2009, 08:21 AM
My Mainland soprano mahogany came today and I posted a quickie review on YT.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovc4MsISep4

My Martin S-O is still available for sale. I need to pay for this new one!!:(

SamWise
01-14-2009, 11:25 PM
I've been wanting a cedar tenor. Now I'm pretty sure I want a Mainland cedar tenor!

Howlin Hobbit
01-15-2009, 07:54 AM
My Mainland soprano mahogany came today and I posted a quickie review on YT.

Man. I was already lusting for one just like that. Not like I need another ukulele but y'know... I have no mahogany...

Must! Resist! U.A.S.!

Seriously though, that looks and sounds great. And at that price point, I'm thinking the "nursery" pictured on ukulelereview.com is going to empty fast. Kudos to hh.

Captain Google
01-15-2009, 08:05 AM
Man. I was already lusting for one just like that. Not like I need another ukulele but y'know... I have no mahogany...

Must! Resist! U.A.S.!

Resistance is futile. Just because you don't need it doesn't mean you don't not need it. ;)

thejumpingflea
01-15-2009, 08:08 AM

Must! Resist! U.A.S.!

See my Sig HH. There is no hope. Just give in.

Link
01-19-2009, 09:25 AM
Whoo hoo! I got mine. Made a video review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07LtDYWiNAs

I should be sleeping... Only got an hour of sleep and have to work later.. but I can't stop strummin'!

jppino
01-19-2009, 11:26 AM
I stumbled across UU a month ago and finally signed up to say thanks for this thread on Mainland Uke. Reading this thread was fate and made it an easy choice for me to pick my 1st Uke. Mike was AWESOME and very helpful. He picked out a perfect Matte Mahogany Tenor...shipped it last monday and arrived on friday. I have been strummin all weekend with the biggest grin from ear to ear.

Thanks UU...Thanks Mike!!!

jkevinwolfe
01-19-2009, 05:23 PM
I'd like to echo Boozelele on Mike. While with that other place, Mike spent an hour with me letting me try every uke in the shop, talking subtle differences, etc. Delighted to see he and Tookta have their own biz now, since they are quite a down-to-earth business couple. Best of luck. I'm fortunate to live within driving distance of Nashville Indiana and plan a road trip soon.

Kevin

Bassukuguy
01-19-2009, 05:49 PM
I have to say that im actually jelous of you guys, these Ukes sound outstanding... every sound sample just keeps making me want one more and more, but sadly im broke as all get out. A guy could always hope and dream... and pray... and penny pinch... SOMEDAY!

but no seriously, these ukes are so pretty and fantastic. i need to head over to Nashville and check some of these out.

fergs1
01-20-2009, 12:10 AM
John that hog tenor looks fantastic and sounds really sweet voiced. has anyone done a vid of the cedartone tenor yet, love to compare,
cheers fergs

hoosierhiver
01-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Here's Dan playing the cedar tenor,

http://www.youtube.com/user/Traviscreekmusic

Link
01-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Yes, theres a channel on youtube called traviscreekmusic you should check out.

Grrr... the King Bee beat me to it.

hoosierhiver
01-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Dan will be at the Ukulele World Congress in June,can't wait to see him jam with Ken (if he can make it) ;)

thejumpingflea
01-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Not going to lie. I am really tempted to get me a Mainland Mahogany Tenor. :D

Captain Google
01-20-2009, 05:27 PM
I'm waiting for the banjo for sure.

Hey, hh, any word on when you'll start that? And maybe a possible price? ;)

tHeDirTyJoHnSon
01-20-2009, 11:01 PM
G'day Mike,, i've been think'n about gett'n a resonator uke, you dont stock these uke's, can you get them? and also one of them banja-lele's/banjo-uke, i see your getting them in soon,, could you please get back to me with some info, see what you can do

hoosierhiver
01-21-2009, 06:18 AM
I'm waiting for the banjo for sure.

Hey, hh, any word on when you'll start that? And maybe a possible price? ;)

I'm still wrangling out the banjo-uke details with the factory,but it is my top priority.We are really hoping to make it very affordable compared to what is on the market now.

Captain Google
01-21-2009, 06:40 AM
I'm still wrangling out the banjo-uke details with the factory,but it is my top priority.We are really hoping to make it very affordable compared to what is on the market now.

I had the feeling you were going to say something like that. :D

ukulelemotion
01-21-2009, 06:46 AM
i just recently got to try a mainland uke out thanks to russ_buss... i must say.. it has a nice, loud sound for a lil soprano uke.. it reminds me of my ohana soprano uke.. plus the fact that it has a lil rope design doesnt hurt it at all.

UkuleleHill
01-21-2009, 08:01 AM
I have been trying to find the next Uke I want for a while now and after watching reviews on the Mainland Tenors I have decided.

SailQwest
01-21-2009, 03:32 PM
I got my new Mainland Ukulele Cedar Concert yesterday. What a beauty! Thanks, Mike!!!

So anyway, I really wanted to get a video posted playing her, so I decided to go a little Crazy, Patsy Cline style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1heMV6fhXo

wheelgunner
01-23-2009, 08:04 AM
I got mine today! A gloss finish mahogany concert with silver tuners. I ordered mine on Friday last and got it exactly one week later. When I ordered, Mike e-mailed me right back and said that they were on the way to California for the music show so he would be unable to ship before Tuesday and offered me my choice of a gig bag or wall hanger to make up for the delay. Now that's a class act! Thanks Mike.

The Mainland mahogany I recieved has no apparent flaws. The finish is even, the nut and saddle are both even and straight. The action is a little higher than the OS OU-3 that has been my only experiance with ukes so far, not a problem though. The sound is deeper and much more mellow than what I'm used to. It seems to have a more complex voice and there is none of the "twangy" sound I always associated with ukuleles. It sounds like an all wood, quality instrument. I am a happy camper.

I love the uke, communication with Mike was quick and easy and for the price I don't see how you can beat it. Pleasant experiance all the way around.

rayan
01-23-2009, 10:40 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know that we worked out a deal with Mike and Mainland Ukes are now for sale in the UU store. We only list products we like and believe in so this should say something.

deach
01-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that we worked out a deal with Mike and Mainland Ukes are now for sale in the UU store. We only list products we like and believe in so this should say something.

Awesome! Congrats Mike!

Link
01-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Link to the "Mainland Owners Club" in my signature. Our slogan: Yeah, my wood is solid. haha.

I seriously am in love with my Mainland uke. I played about a half hour per day before I got it, now I play about 4 hours per day.

Hippie Dribble
08-03-2010, 03:52 AM
the mainland ukes are definately good value for the price. The cedar tops are sweet sweet to look at. I bought a honeybee soprano and actually like the sound of it more than I thought I would. A nice bright, punchy tone but still with a bit of warmth underneath to bind it all together. recommended from here!!!

mangorockfish
08-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Mainlans are the bomb!!!!! I've gotten my $$$$ together for a high $$ uke and then think, " hey' there ain't nuthin' out there that I would like any better, or would sound any better than what I've got, so forget it." I'm totally happy with my concert (my favorite) and my tenor gloss mahogany. There is however a cedar saprano in my future. Mike and Mike are the best. Luv ya guys!!

luvdat
08-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Mainlans are the bomb!!!!! I've gotten my $$$$ together for a high $$ uke and then think, " hey' there ain't nuthin' out there that I would like any better, or would sound any better than what I've got, so forget it." I'm totally happy with my concert (my favorite) and my tenor gloss mahogany. There is however a cedar saprano in my future. Mike and Mike are the best. Luv ya guys!!

The Mainland red cedar soprano is great!!!