Gary Gill hand made pear shape tenor ukulele

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Gill

Reaction score
I am offering for sale a ukulele I made myself. This uke is labeled number 1. First unit made from the molds and jigs I built for this shape. The plan is to build more of this style.
Sound sample http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAtapR3Dh2M&feature=youtu.be
Size: Tenor
Style: Pear shape

Construction: Sides and back are mahogany, Sound board is Douglas fir, and the neck is mahogany with a maple lamination for strength. Bridge is a string through type made from walnut. Walnut fret board is 1-3/8” wide at nut, there are 18 frets. The nut and saddle are made from Corian. Fret board has been treated with mineral oil. Body and neck are finished with satin lacquer.

Grover tuning machines and Aqulia Nylgut strings (high g)
Dimensions: Body is max 3” deep 9” wide at bout. 26-3/4” overall length

The mahogany is recycled from a gymnasium bleacher seat. There are small holes and signs of insect activity. I have made no effort to fill or disguise these unique attributes. Mostly visible on the back and sides.

Price is $440.00 including shipping and insurance via UPS Ground anywhere in the continental United States. I will accept PayPal or USPS money order.

Last edited:
Wow, Gary, that's a beautiful instrument!
How did you decide on the shape, and using doug fir for the top?

Best of luck with your sale.

I have built a couple of pineapples and wanted to build something different. The pear is something like a 'Vita" uke but not exactly. I got the material from "Unk" (DS Gill ) and he got the Douglas fir from a local veneer mill. They gave him the boards that are about 5/8" thick after they have sliced the veneer. They are referred to as backing boards. I learned most of my uke building skills from Unk and am now building my ukes in my garage. Like a lot of instrument builders, I have many years experience building cabinets and furniture. I do use Unk's shop for thickness sanding the material I have milled at home. Thanks for looking.

Nice uke, nice "big" sound.

Very nice. You've learned well from Unk. Dare I say the sound of this one is better than the Unk samples? It has a more "refined" tone I think. Not sure that's even the word I'm searching for but seems "smoother" than say the aromatic cedar or primavera vids.

Very nice. You've learned well from Unk. Dare I say the sound of this one is better than the Unk samples? It has a more "refined" tone I think. Not sure that's even the word I'm searching for but seems "smoother" than say the aromatic cedar or primavera vids.
Thank you.

I have built a couple of pineapples and wanted to build something different. The pear is something like a 'Vita" uke but not exactly. I got the material from "Unk" (DS Gill ) and he got the Douglas fir from a local veneer mill. They gave him the boards that are about 5/8" thick after they have sliced the veneer. They are referred to as backing boards. I learned most of my uke building skills from Unk and am now building my ukes in my garage. Like a lot of instrument builders, I have many years experience building cabinets and furniture. I do use Unk's shop for thickness sanding the material I have milled at home. Thanks for looking.

Hi Gary,
Can you tell me more about "unk"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom