Kanilea Question?

tiki_ink

Reaction score
Are all the new Kanilea Ukuleles Sound Monsters? I just purchased a Kanilea K-1 Tenor and was told by the shop owner that it was a sound monster. However, there is no markings on the uke that state that it is a sound monster. Is this right? Does it even matter? Thanks.

It can be UV or satin and be a sound monster, the fastest way to find out is to grab the uke by the headstock and look down the fretboard into the bracing, if the lower brace has holes in it its a sound monster, if not its quite a bit older.

To my knowledge you cannot get a kanile'a with the new headstock logo with the old bracing. You can buy a custom with the old logo and the new bracing though, nothing off the shelf. I have played over 50 kanile'a and owned a really good number of them and played everything from ukes that were made when they were a one man shop to K5's and above that they make today.

Last edited:
Sound monster?

For those of us not in the know but now very curious...

What's a sound monster?

And, does the uke sound like a monster?

I mean, does it scream and snort while trying to eat you?

:eek:SOUND MONSTER!!???

Please, anyone who owns a Sound Monster ukulele, PLEASE do a version of that Godzilla song... "OH NO, there goes Tokyo, oh no, Godzilla! wooOOoo..."

If not, Frankenstein by the Edgar Winter Group would be acceptable.

WearyMicrobe is like a Kanilea owning god. But what he's referring to is technically known as TRU bracing. You can read up on it HERE. I hope that link works, but otherwise, just search for the Kanilea site, and look for it. From what I've heard, that bracing was originally made for the SoundMonster uke, but it was so successful, that they started putting it on all of their ukes, including their ukes that technically are not souondmonsters. So that bracing is sometimes referred to as soundmonster bracing. And that's probably what your uke has, and it basically just means that its one of the newer Kanileas.

MGM's definition is more accurate. The real soundmonsters say have K1-T SM printed on the label, and have a oil finish, as opposed to a shiny high gloss finish. (The SM is for SoundMonster) And after playing one, I can tell you that they make even more sound than the glossy UV cured Kanileas. Hope that answers your question.

Correct in that they do have a larger volume sound, if its better is up to interpretation, but a S.tenor can play unamped with a guitarest who knows what he is doing. If you wail on your uke or use a pick its not a very refined sound. What is great though is if you are plying by yourself you have a langer volume window to play around with which can lead to some interesting effects.

I finally have a web cam coming in the next week or so from eBay so I will post some videos up when theat happens.

Last edited:
Question Answered

Thanks for all the information. Very informative. I just wanted to make sure I got what I payed for.

:eek:SOUND MONSTER!!???

Please, anyone who owns a Sound Monster ukulele, PLEASE do a version of that Godzilla song... "OH NO, there goes Tokyo, oh no, Godzilla! wooOOoo..."

And now that the bracing system question has been cleared up, I feel the need to step in here and defend Blue Oyster Cult a bit.

They were responsible for "Godzilla", but while it was actually a semi-hit for them it also kind of represented the start of the downward spiral for their quality and career. It's nearly impossible to maintain a career no matter how good you are once you've had a hit with a novelty tune. (see also : Wayne, Fountains of)

But I would heartily recommend to anybody that their album "Secret Treaties" be a permanent part of any musical breakfast (acquire it how you will.) That is a fab gear record. "Dominance and Submission" & "Career of Evil" are just great stuff.

That is all.

The standard K1 comes UV gloss finish. The Sound Monster has a satin finish.

The Super Tenor comes with a larger lower bout.

Kanilea will be more then happy to combine both satin finish and larger lower bout. What would you call that? Sound Monster Super Tenor!:music:

Top Bottom