PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a cigar box ukulele

addicted2myuke
07-11-2013, 02:21 PM
5573055731My husband smokes cigars. Ewww! But he brings home some cool cigar boxes. I'd love to turn these into some cool ukes. I am not a wood worker, but I am handy with tools. Does a cigar box uke kit exist with all the components except the cigar box? That is, the neck, and the head stock. Here are some photos of the boxes.55729

river_driver
07-11-2013, 02:30 PM
In this day and age, you can get just about anything online!
https://www.cbgitty.com/cubecart/concert-ukulele-parts-pack-everything-except-the-body-.html

Good luck, and share some pictures when it's done!

addicted2myuke
07-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Wow, thanks a million river_driver! That's exactly what I was looking for. No assembly instructions, but I do have 2 ukes to go from. If I have a problem, I can always come to UU. I will post photos durring and after it's done.

river_driver
07-11-2013, 03:18 PM
There are a lot of resources online for cigar box guitar building - start at Cigar Box Nation. If you prefer real books (I do) look on Amazon for a book called Handmade Music Factory.

PhilUSAFRet
07-12-2013, 12:46 AM
[QUOTE=river_driver;1324297]In this day and age, you can get just about anything online!
https://www.cbgitty.com/cubecart/concert-ukulele-parts-pack-everything-except-the-body-.html

:agree: Best place to start. Another good resource is Ebay. Just search cigar box under musical instruments and gear for great pictures of completed instruments. I save pictures of the features I like to use on my future builds. Lots of necks, parts, accessories, many from C.B.Gitty. Also, lots of cool videos on YouTube re: building, playing, etc..

addicted2myuke
07-12-2013, 02:15 AM
I jist ordered a kit from CB Gitty. Can't wait. My husband is a wood worker and offered to help me. I will keep you posted with my progress. Thanks for all your help UUrs.

UkeKiddinMe
07-12-2013, 02:22 AM
I have ordered parts from CBGitty. Great resource.

13down
07-12-2013, 05:46 PM
UkeKiddinMe, I'm interested to hear how the CBGuke-making goes.

UkeKiddinMe
07-13-2013, 01:44 AM
UkeKiddinMe, I'm interested to hear how the CBGuke-making goes.

I only ordered pickup parts and nut files. I'm not actually building a CBG.
[If I build anything in the uke world, it's going to be one of those Wolfelele kits. Very intrigued by those.]