Kanilea pickup question

BIGDB

Reaction score
Hello, I'll soon be getting a pickup put in my kanilea but have a question to ask. From it looks like most kanileas have what i think is a open ended bridge so you can see the saddle from the side of the ukulele like the picture
null-56.jpg
I called 13tg street guitars and they said he could do it but there would be a very small gap in between the the bridge and the saddle from the pickup. Is that normal for a kanilea with that kind of bridge? My dad thinks he should cut a sorta groove in the bridge or the saddle so there would be no gap but it seems to me like there would be less contact with the pickup.

Please help
Thanks

Sorry for the 2 threads if someone can tell me how to delete a thread or if a moderator could do it

Last edited:
I wouldn't touch the bridge as it's easier to replace the saddle. You see it from the side but that's how it is with most bridges that doesn't have a slot that fits the saddle. Kamaka and Koaloha are open like the Kanilea.

My Kamaka turned out just as you describe. My friend's Kanile'a - same thing. No, it's not perfect, but it's the price you pay. You really don't notice it unless you are looking right at it. Ditto on trying to groove the bridge. Probably the last thing you want to touch. Good luck! Getting a pickup is a big step!

If I were to send in to kanilea do they have a way of doing it so there is no gap?

Elijah

that's called a "thru saddle", meaning the saddle groove goes all the way thru the bridge. Kanilea also makes a drop in saddle where the ends are closed-like on my slothead.
it you are getting a UST(under saddle transducer) style pickup, yep, that will go under the saddle and it would be seen from the side. recutting the bridge to hide the UST can be done, it would be more expensive cost with a larger margin for error-even with a skilled tech. I've done this exact procedure on some high end acoustic Martins and its not my favorite type of work.

i suggest looking into a Mcintyre featherlite pickup. the area of where an endpin would be is drilled out for the input, the pickup is attached with double sticky tape Velcro on the inside-its a very solid easy setup and sounds fantastic. can be reversed with only the endpin area having a hole-which can be plugged.
i also suggest looking into a K&K soundhole pickup-very easy to mount with even less intrusion on the instrument and also great sound.

the last thing i would do is let anyone bother that bridge area.

my 2c
d

Use a soundboard transducer instead of under-saddle. Mya Moe uses K&K twin spots among others.

Sorry for the 2 threads if someone can tell me how to delete a thread or if a moderator could do it

Both threads are now merged, with the initial duplicate post deleted.

As to your question, I had Joe Souza install the pickup in my Kanilea. If I were you, I would take or send it to them.

Both threads are now merged, with the initial duplicate post deleted.

As to your question, I had Joe Souza install the pickup in my Kanilea. If I were you, I would take or send it to them.

Or at least check with Joe and make sure installing your own pickup will not void your warranty..

Top Bottom