PDA

View Full Version : Living Water on Kanile'a: buzz buzz

Helms
07-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Hi guys!

I recently got home from US and was excited to change strings on my newly bought Kanile'a, as I've heard good things about the brand. So I as pleased to see a set of strings in the mail when I arrived back home.

However, after changing the strings the C strings buzz. Not always, but most of the time. And when it won't buzz while plugging the C string, it will buzz when I pick the E or g string.

The buzz is only when the string is played open.
I've read several other threads, suggesting it could be a nut problem?

I just thought that Kanile'as wouldn't have a problem using Living Water strings as so many others use it on their Kanile'a?

Hope you guys have some magical answers that could help me :)

mds725
07-11-2013, 11:05 PM
I don't know much about setups or string changing, but I'm wondering whether the original C string on your ukulele was a different gauge than the Living Water C string. If the C string you removed was wider than the Living Water C, the slot for the C string on the nut might be too wide to hold the Living Water C string snugly. If the Living Water string is wider than the original C string, the nut slot may be too small and the C string isn't fitting all the way in. I think what you need to do is ensure that the C nut slot is the right width for the C string. it could be other stuff, but that's the potential cause that occurs to me.

By the way, Ken Middleton says on his Living Water Strings website that he's away for a few days, but I'm sure he'll be glad to help you when he's back next week. You can contact him through his LW website or by sending him a PM through the UU website. Good luck!

Helms
07-12-2013, 12:36 AM
Whoops. A little emberassing: I found the source of the most of the buzzing.
It was my Kala tuner which, I guess, did not really fit well on to the Kanile'a and thus buzzing whenever I plucked an open string.

Once I took it off the top, no buzz were to be heard. At least not compared to before.
There still seem to be a little buzz thing on the C string. But not really a buzz, more like half buzz, half something that just kills the tone and volume of the string. And this time it doesn't seem to come from the nut, but rather from around the bridge.
I am probably not making myself very clear as to what the problem is, but does anyone have an idea what this could be?

I would really prefer keeping the Living Water on, rather then going back to Aquila. Living Water has really made my Kanilea a whole other uke.

hawaii 50
07-12-2013, 03:00 AM
I think your C string was not the same diameter as your last set,like Mds725 mentioned above..the Aquilla C string very large gauge...

try another set of strings..Worths or Oasis

Helms
07-12-2013, 03:07 AM
I think your C string was not the same diameter as your last set,like Mds725 mentioned above..the Aquilla C string very large gauge...

try another set of strings..Worths or Oasis

Is that my only option? I can't do something with the Living Water?
As I live in Denmark there is no easy way to get ukulele strings :(

Doc_J
07-12-2013, 03:39 AM
The nut slot may be too large. Try a little piece of paper under the C string in the nut slot. That usually works for me.
It still might be the nut even though it sounds like it is coming from elsewhere.

If you find that this gets rid of the noise or vibration then you might want to seek a little more permanent solution such as a little super glue in the C slot to tighten the opening.

Helms
07-12-2013, 04:04 AM
Thanks Doc! I will definitely try that!
I really hope it works.
Living Water has really made my Kanile'a sound so beautiful. So I'll do anything to keep them :)

Mattyukaholic
07-12-2013, 05:15 AM
It mightn't cure the buzz but I have Living Waters on my Kanile'a concert tuned up to G#,C#,F,A# and they sound beautiful and harp like.

darylcrisp
07-29-2013, 11:33 PM
I don't use Living water strings so i'm not familiar with them. Its possible the tension of the string set is less than what you removed-combined with a low nut slot setup-it can sometimes cause buzzing-or half buzzing as you mentioned. Check to see if the piece of paper under the string solves the problem, if it does you need to raise that slot slightly. Using super glue will make a permanent, easy to adjust fix. Be sure to mask off the fretboard and headstock with painters tape-in case you have a run. If superglue runs, it will leave a mark/spot/line. I usually use a toothpick to squeeze a very tiny drop out and allow it to run off the toothpick as it sits in the nut slot. I'll try that a few times on a blank sheet of paper so I see what size glue drop works for me-too much and it will run out of the slot. You can go slow and barely drop and do it a few times-building up the slot.
after you've raised the slot, you'll need to file it back to shape-best to use a nut slot file of the correct size-if you don't have one, you can use other tools-but the nut slot file is best.

good luck, and be sure to mask off all areas that might be near the glue in case of a run.

d

mm stan
07-30-2013, 10:52 AM
Try shimming the the C string groove with a piece of paper, about the thickness of paper money....and see if the buzz goes away... as others have said, you changed the
strings and now it happened...the C string is the thickest string..good luck