Quality Instructor Banned from U.Underground's Facebook Page...Thanks Ryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtlessons

Reaction score
ryan.jpg

Hey Everyone, I used to think Ukulele Underground was cool, but not after I was banned from their Facebook page by Ryan Esaki today. Mr. Esaki said that I was "Shamelessly Promoting" myself because in all my posts of Free Tablture I would include my web address and mention that I would be more than happy to review the notation on skype if anyone had questions.

I contributed to the pages for months, the same way and had nothing but positive feedback. It was never my intention to use the site for anything other than posting my work for free. If someone chooses to take me up on a skype lesson and feels I have something to offer as a instructor what is the big deal?

Today Ryan has made a enemy. He has also shown me that Ukulele Underground is a business and concerned about subscriptions. I am not sure if the other members of Ukulele Underground share or support his actions? I have worked extremely hard to be a excellent instructor and it really bothers me that someone who is obviously insecure takes it upon themselves to "remove a threat". There were so many memebers of Ukulele Undergrouds Facebook page that really like my posts and another perspective from a competent instructor. I would like to add that Ryan did not private message me. He commented in a very insulting way on a post of "Walking After Midnight" by Patsy Cline, which I nailed by the way.

This is my side of the coin and I am very curious to see if any of the other members of Ukulele Underground know about Ryan's actions?

Why do you need to post on their facebook page about your stuff? I don't get it.

It's like if I go to HMS facebook page and make posts to checking out my stuff.

Uhm, because I was sharing my tablature with other players who enjoyed my arrangements and transcribing skills. What don't you get about that?

That's their business. You don't use another businesses fb page for your own personal advertisement.

I'm not stupid enough to get into the middle of a fight about which I know virtually nothing. But I will make this observation(maybe against my better judgment), not about your posts but about Facebook in general: I don't like when my FB friends post stuff directly to my FB page, and I almost invariably hide them from my timeline. My feeling is that what shows up on MY timeline is stuff that I want there, not stuff that other people think I think is important. If a FB friend wants me to see something, he or she can post it on his or her OWN timeline and I'll see it in my news feed, and if I want it on MY timeline, I can either "share" or repost it. I strongly believe that, with the exception of birthday wishes, people and entities should have the unbridled right to decide what shows up on their own FB pages. I don't know anything about your posts and I have no idea, and no comment, about why anyone in charge of the UU FB page would take issue with you. However, I'm left wondering why you didn't, or don't, create your own FB page on which to put your posts on your own timeline. If you want people associated with UU to see these posts, you could then post a link to your FB page (along with an invitation to "Like" or "Friend" the page, depending on what sort of page you set up) on the "Links and Videos" board in the UU Forum.

I sympathize with how you're feeling about getting slammed on FB. I was defriended once by a right winger with whom I'd gone to high school because I had the audacity, in commenting on posts about his political viewpoints (but - and this is important - only in comments to his posts and NOT in new posts to his page) , to try to engage him in political discussion and challenge unsupported assertions. But I have to say that I have a lot of respect for the people who run this website (and who presumably oversee its FB page), and I have no interest in being critical of them for their response to an incident about which I know very little.

I too know next to nothing about this issue as I do not frequent the UU Fb page.
However, I tend to agree with the sentiments of the other posters here; the UU Facebook page is a place for UU content and updates.

I think it is fantastic that you are contributing your own content and arrangements to the community. Perhaps, this forum would be a better venue for such a contribution.
In my experience, the conduct of UU moderators/founders/staff has been pretty well beyond reproach. While I haven't seen your Fb posts nor do I know for sure what was deemed to be 'Shameless self-promotion,' I feel that the language you've used in your post might communicate exactly that kind of shameless promotion. In particular, language, such as "Ryan has made an enemy," "remove a threat" and "which I nailed by the way," is over-the-top and may be viewed by some as shameless promotion. I am not sure whether you are a frequent lurker on the forums, but this kind of language and aggressive posturing is not viewed as appropriate by the community at large and is actively discouraged by our most excellent mods.

I would encourage you to both moderate your language and to bring your content here to the forum. It sounds like many of us would be very appreciative and would enjoy it. I am sure that with tact and understanding the issue could be resolved to everyone's benefit.

I don't go on FB and never will. I would have more preferred that you just posted your tabs here; I'm sure they would have been more welcomed. Also agree with Jamie re the language. I trust it was because of the way you feel slighted.

Looking forward to your posting of,"Nailed it" tabs.

The OP will not be posting anything further.

View attachment 55770
Today Ryan has made a enemy. [...] He has also shown me that Ukulele Underground is a business and concerned about subscriptions. [...]

"Ryan has made an enemy"? That kind of hostile attitude would have got this poster banned by me had he not already been banned by another mod/admin.

Mods are not UU employees, we are volunteers (and happy and privileged to be so) and otherwise ordinary members. As a member, I am well aware that UU is a business. It is also a long-established and thriving community. There are certainly revenue streams associated with the site, but there is even more free stuff.

Uhm, because I was sharing my tablature with other players who enjoyed my arrangements and transcribing skills. What don't you get about that?

The tone of this response was sarcastic. Without knowing who banned the OP I can confidently say, Dude, your whole attitude was heading for a ban. No way will you fit here.

That is my response to the OPs comments. As the ban means he cannot respond I refrain from going further and close this thread.

EDIT - PS: The thread closure was entirely my decision. I did not consult Ryan or Seeso. There was no censorship by Admin.

Basically, as a UU member who has enjoyed this community for some years, the guy just pissed me off.

Last edited:
Mods thanks for taking care of this. Sorry to bump this thread that should die, just wanted to get my last words on the issue in. What this guy didn't mention was that what I originally told him was that he could / should continue posting his tabs in the group as people enjoy them, it just wasn't necessary to promote his website on our facebook page everyday. He didn't like that and began to say some pretty aggressive things so I eventually banned him. Maybe I shouldn't have been my normal joking self and should have said it more tactfully but I'm pretty sure I ended it with a happy face to try to make sure he knew I was tongue in cheek. He did not, so I apologize. Sorry Jeff!

For my mistake, I'll give him one last plug.

His name is Jeffrey Thomas if anyone wants to hire him as a teacher, You can google him. I guess he does skype lessons and also writes out tabs on paper? (Just don't make him mad as he called me some pretty interesting things today.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom