Don't laugh: Mandolin wooden adjustable bridge on a ukulele?

UkeKiddinMe

Reaction score
Some of you might know that I, um, experimented with my #2 baritone to install a pickup, and I failed pretty badly. At a minimum, I need to cut a new saddle, and really, I have, um, been bad to the bridge.

I'm at the point where there's not more to lose with this situation.
I don't have a playable uke. It can Only go up from here. :)

I was contemplating removing the whole bridge and instead using
a wooden adjustable mandolin bridge, along with a tail piece?
Adjustable_Archtop_Mandolin_Bridge_sm.jpg

Is this viable or not? Thanks.

How high is that thing? looks pretty tall.
Sorry for your problem..

Hi Frank. A floating bridge may or may not work on your baritone uke, but I'd be concerned about finding or making a tailpiece that will maintain the right string spacing at the saddle. Mandolin nuts and fretboards typically are narrower than uke nuts and fretboards, so I'm thinking that the spacing at the saddle also would be narrower if you use a mandolin tailpiece. As long as you're removing the old bridge, why not replace it with a new ukulele bridge? I can help you with this when I get back from Grey Fox at the end of next week. Also, don't try to remove the old bridge yourself, because it is easy to make a mess of it. I have a special heat blanket made specially for removing bridges.

yes, just ask someone to help.. a proper bridge shouldn't be difficult to source...

do it once.. try to do it best..

Ukes with tailpieces and floating bridges can work.....but they're designed that way. The neck us angled more to allow for a taller bridge. A mandolin bridge is usually curved on the bottom to fit the top arch. Mane sure you find one for a flat top mandolin.
If you're taking the bridge off, probably easier to glue on a replacement from stew mac

Top Bottom