anyone used the Aurora strings by aquila?

darylcrisp

Reaction score
are these new or been around a while?

stringsbymail have them and i had not noticed them before-called "silkgut". looks like some colors, white/blue/clear are available.

who has used them, review please

thank you
d

These have been out for two or three years, and I've tried them on a few ukes. Very similar to regular Aquilas, but prettier and a little shinier. I'm not sure if colored strings are generally more fragile than regular strings (although I've heard that from a few different sources), but I broke an A string when putting a set of green ones on my Flea. Never had another one break, though, so they seem fine to me.

I had them on a plastic uke.

Very similar to Aquilas (did I read some place that the two companies are associated?) save maybe a bit less volume.

They looked really cool, but (unfortunately for me) didn't produce the sound I was chasing.

I have used them on a few ukes that came equipped with less than desireable strings.... and I like 'em. As stated before me, very Aquila Nylgut-like playability wise, and their color selection lets you customize your look a bit.
Get on the Aurora email and you'll get "buy one-get one free" offers periodically.

The version of the story I read is that the Aurora people buy Aquilas in bulk and dye them.

I have had a set on my dolphin for ages and they sound really nice, not quite so loud as regular Aquilas but hey, they also give my dolphin a cool punky look, there is one orange, one lime green, one purple and I can't remember what colour the other one is and the uke is in work, but it is possibly red????? Had to order mine from Uke Republic but they arrived in good time so will order a couple of sets next time

I use 'em!

Multicolored on my Flea and red on my Applause.

Try 'em and see if they work for you. They actually sound a little dry and dull to my ears and feel a bit spongy. Each time I pick up one of my ukes strung with these and start to strum, I think "yuck" but oddly, after I play them a few minutes I begin to like the sound and find it very useful for some songs. And it does look cool...

I love the multi-color Aurora strings and have several of my ukes strung with them (Soprano and Concert). I just about always get comments on the color strings, and to me, they sound great. I'm a singer strummer, so no picking to speak of, although they sound OK when I do pick them. :)

Got my first set in HNL at PuaPua in Waikiki about a year ago. Then got a couple of sets from UkeRepublic and several more directly from Aurora Strings. Great customer service from Aurora Strings, very responsive and very nice people. I recommend their product and their service!!! UkeRepublic was good to deal with also :)

keep uke'in',

Last edited:
I just ordered 2 packs (neon green and multi-colored) for my daughter and one of her friends. Sometimes, fun is more important than the "perfect" sound :)

I used to have black ones one my ohana concert ukulele. They seem to wear out fairly fast. I put a pink set on my cousin's uke and they faded to a light orange color after a few months. If I was to order them again it would be to put on one of my extra ukes just for fun.

Top Bottom