Anyone else had a tough time with baritone pickups?

13down

Reaction score
I've had a tough time with pickups in baritones.

I've had pickups installed in two different ones, and, while neither are "great" ukes, they both have balanced sounds.

I have a Fishman Ag-uke in a Kala spruce-maple baritone, and an LR Baggs 5.0 in an Oscar Schmidt mango baritone.

Feel free to criticize my uke choices in a different thread. :) I'm well aware that neither are the best. I decided that, since a good pickup + install would already cost me an arm and a leg, and the difference in piezo-amplified sound between a great uke and a decent one isn't that different, I was going to get a cheaper uke. Also, even if those two ukes are not the greatest-sounding ones, they both do have a *balanced* sound, which is probably more important when it comes to amplification, as ust pickups don't pickup the nuances and overtones of wood all that well.

Anyway, I've noticed that, in both ukes, I occasionally get a "boom" from the low D string that overwhelms the B and E strings. I initially thought this was due to the wound strings being heavier than the plain ones. But then I tried the ukes with Worth fluorocarbon strings and got the same result: the low strings overwhelmed the high strings.

It was possible to mitigate this somewhat via external EQ, but even then, it sounded odd.

Is this a known issue with UST pickups in baritone ukes? Is this an issue that acoustic guitarists experience as well?

Last edited:
Could be an improperly voiced installation or you could just be finding a very strong resonance with the top or air chamber.

Try blocking the sound hole with something like the top of a yogurt container...using it as a DIY "Feedback Buster".

Top Bottom