Thoughts and/or experiences with Sailor Brand ukuleles, specifically soprano sizes

Brian W

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase my next ukulele, and really like the thought of a U.S. made instrument, but can't afford more than $400. I saw on the UkeRepublic website that the Sailor Brand soprano that would easily fit into my budget. I have purchased from Mike a few times in the past and have had positive experiences, so I think this may be a good choice for me. I currently have an Ohana SK-35 and like it, but it's a little weak in volume and projection, and also has some buzzing issues when I play with a heavier hand. I am looking to take a step-up in build quality and playability, but can't afford a Hawaiian K brand right now. I am considering the spruce top with either cherry or eucalyptus back and sides, but may consider a cedar top if it has better projection. From what I can gather, these appear to be contract built for Mike by Loprinzi, so if this is true, it would be great value at its current price. If anyone on this forum could give me their thoughts and/or experiences with the Sailor Brand (specifically on the soprano size), it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I can't speak to Sailor Brand but I do have one recommendation re. your SK-35: try some heavy gage fluorocarbon (Worth CH) strings on it. These strings turned my Mainland mahogany soprano, which was already a good uke, into an absolute cannon. Tons more volume than Aquila or lighter gage fluorocarbon strings and great tone. The tension is high enough that it may resolve the buzzing issue, too. You might need to widen the nut slots a little bit for these very heavy strings, but it's well worth the effort.

John

I can't help you much either, but I am about to jump into getting a Sailor Brand uke for me also. Your same reasons are mine too. I want a well built uke for around 400. I have talked off line with a Sailor owner and am really convinced this is the uke for me. All the reviews I have seen are very favorable with only the Veneer vs laminate the big debate. This does not bother me though.

I'm watching this thread with much interest. I have a LoPrinzi koa soprano which I LOVE LOVE LOVE! I also have a LoPrinzi concert on order with Mike.

Should the build quality be similar on the Sailor Brand then they are an absolute bargain and I'd love to try one.

I love my Sailor Brand Cedar/Eucalyptus Soprano. After I visited Uke Republic and played almost every uke in the store, I brought home a Sailor Brand.

+2 on the cedar/eucalyptus soprano! Had mine for about two years and it just keeps sounding better. Very nice neck, that is if you like thin and I do. Easy to play and great sound. I know you will not be disappointed with the customer service and the instrument. Big bang for the buck!

I can't speak to Sailor Brand but I do have one recommendation re. your SK-35: try some heavy gage fluorocarbon (Worth CH) strings on it. These strings turned my Mainland mahogany soprano, which was already a good uke, into an absolute cannon. Tons more volume than Aquila or lighter gage fluorocarbon strings and great tone. The tension is high enough that it may resolve the buzzing issue, too. You might need to widen the nut slots a little bit for these very heavy strings, but it's well worth the effort.

John

I finally fixed the buzz on my Ohana. Turns out it wasn't a high fret after all, but a saddle that wasn't sitting flush in the bridge slot; it was vibrating in the bridge slot. I pulled the saddle out and found that there are two small wooden dowels that help anchor the bridge to the top that were sticking up slightly, not allowing the saddle to sit flush in the bridge slot. I filed them down, and now the saddle seats properly at the bridge with no more buzz. I did take your advice and re-strung it with a set of Fremont Blackline Hard soprano/concert strings, and it improved the volume and intonation. The sustain is a little less, however I really like the sound of my SK-35 with these strings. Thanks for the tip!!

Last edited:
The Sailor brands ukes are nice. The fit and finish, playability, and sound are all really good IMO. Every time I get a chance to play one, I wonder why I haven't purchased one yet.

I have a Sailor Brand soprano and tenor as well as a Mainland soprano. I really like the clarity of the Sailor Brand. Each note in a chord is very distinct. I go to the Mainland from time to time but the Sailors are my main go to ukes. I've been very happy with them.

Top Bottom