Best strings for Maccaferri Islander?

lakesideglenn

Reaction score
I just picked up a plastic Maccaferri Islander at a yard sale in beautiful shape but the strings are shot. been wanting one of these for awhile.

Any of you plastic ukers out there have any suggestions for replacements? I'm thinking Martin fluorocarbons.

Being an inexpensive uke that is all styrene plastic, I would stick with some plain nylon strings, as that's what came on it. I'd think the fluoro would be a bit hard, wearing the plastic faster. They are also higher tension strings than plain nylon, straining the Islander's construction.

D'Addario J65 strings sound great on my Islander---J65 set is designed to be tuned to ADF#B with mellow tension---just like the Islander was designed to be played.

If you prefer fluorocarbon to nylon, try the Fremont medium set---sounds great, too.

Thanks for the tips guys. I guess a lower tension string would be better, but I didn't like D'Addarios when I tried them in the past. Maybe I'll try the Fremonts.

I got in touch with Ukester Brown, the undisputed Guru when it comes to Islander ukes. He says the best strings for the plastic Islanders are Martin fluorocarbons, so that's what I'm gonna use.
Stay tuned!

Top Bottom