Watching a video and hearing a cheaper uke sound like your own.

Bao

Reaction score
My main uke is a Lanikai SMP-TCA with Ko'olau gold strings and it sounds pretty good, although, I never had any idea that the Makala tenor in this video could sound EXACTLY like my uke.

http://vimeo.com/27744491

I even played the same song and used similar dynamics to his. Could it be his technique and experience that makes it sound like a 400 dollar uke?

Or maybe my ears aren't as good as they used to be LOL

Last edited:
hey Bao, I reckon it's potentially a number of things. First of all, those Makala tenors are ok ukes. Second, it's a HMS vid so you know it's been perfectly set up with sympathetic strings. Third, they're using pretty ace recording gear and beautiful mics no doubt. Also, with a touch of reverb it always adds depth and warmth to the track. Fourth - and to answer your question directly - it's being played by an ace player, with a lightness and deftness of touch that will no doubt bring the best out of the instrument in terms of tone and dynamic. Fifth and last point, I've played thousand dollar ukes that sounded crap and 100 ukes that sounded great. So, I think the answer to your question is jumbled in the above comments somewhere. :)

hey Bao, I reckon it's potentially a number of things. First of all, those Makala tenors are ok ukes. Second, it's a HMS vid so you know it's been perfectly set up with sympathetic strings. Third, they're using pretty ace recording gear and beautiful mics no doubt. Also, with a touch of reverb it always adds depth and warmth to the track. Fourth - and to answer your question directly - it's being played by an ace player, with a lightness and deftness of touch that will no doubt bring the best out of the instrument in terms of tone and dynamic. Fifth and last point, I've played thousand dollar ukes that sounded crap and 100 ukes that sounded great. So, I think the answer to your question is jumbled in the above comments somewhere. :)

Well said! :) SO MANY factors involved in uke videos plus the biggest factor that I always try to keep in mind... the player.

Cory, and the other pros at HMS can make any uke sound great. :D :D

Everything that Eugene and Sporin say is right on the money, however the most important thing to remember is that any recording, no matter how well made, is at the mercy of the playback system. A $2000 uke recorded with the best equipment can sound no better than a $200 uke when listened to on crappy laptop speakers.

The only really effective way to compare the tone of different instruments is to play them live.

Scooter

Heard a HMS video where in the middle, they switched to Ko'olau Alohi low g on that Monkeypod. Wow, did that baby sound sweet. I have Alohi reentrants on my Pono mahogany concert and lov'em.

Here's one demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6orsdrbt1y8

Last edited:
Top Bottom