Best Budget Banjo Uke

DbUke

Reaction score
So coming this December I'll be able to buy myself a Banjo ukulele, its great because I've always wanted one and admire their unique tone, but can't decide which one to get. There's so many choices!
I have a budget of 300 GBP (£300). I am looking for something with a resonator, (ie. no open backs) preferably a Uke with those banjo style heads, (the rounded looking ones, this isn't a huge deal though), and a good tone. I've seen some "Dallas B" and "Delta Blue" ones around my budget, some £250....

There is a company in the UK who sells Eddy-Finn banjo ukuleles. For just pure fun, the little soprano has a lot of bark for being such a little dog. The concert one with the full reflector on the back is more subdued. I have one of each, and have sold more soprano banjo ukes that the other two styles combined.

If you have a trusted, reasonably priced Luthier nearby (hah, good luck) there are the most wonderful vintage banjo ukes available in the UK. Don't have to get top of the line. A soprano banjo uke, I just got an Morgan Monroe (now Eddie Finn) with a 6" pot, has the 1st and 4th strings awfully close to the edge of the fretboard. That may or may not be a problem for you. If it is, a concert size is readily available and will give you a little more finger room. They have 8" heads, as do a few sopranos. Most of the lower priced newer banjo ukes are clones of the Goldtone, which itself, is based on the earlier vintage ones of the 20's and 30's. Also, many of the older ones have already been refurbished and set up by someone who knows what they are going...usually! I have seen some awesome ones for only about $125 US. I bought my Morgan Monroe for $125 and my concert size Rally with full resonator and hardshell case for $125, both used and in nearly new condition. Good luck.

Top Bottom