An embarrassment of riches - (OR NCUD!)

ksiegel

Probably unknown member
UU VIP
Reaction score
So how lucky can someone get?

I mean, short of being gifted a Moore Bettah, Compass Rose, Mya-Moe, Devine, Howlett, Timms, or similar instrument. Or winning the lottery.

I haven't done any of those things.

But a few weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to have a John S. Kinnard uke delivered into my care for evaluation, and it was a spectacular instrument. The Kinnard brand joins the Lust List with the previously mentioned ukes.

Last week, the Little White Uke Around The World made it to my mail drop, and I'm getting ready to send it on.

But while I was planning and plotting my video, I stopped the mail drop, and lo and behold, there it was!

shipping box_1.jpg

I've been waiting for this, for a while.

shipping box_3.jpg

oh, wait... That's the Armitage Silver case I bought from WickedWahini11 a while back... (Man, is that heavy! It also shows the heritage of the Violin Case very clearly!)

No, this is what I got:

uke_1.jpg100_1832.jpg

Here's the photo that Brad sent me:

donaldson front.jpg

It is much clearer than one I took.

It is a concert cutaway - Port Orford Cedar top, maple body, tru-oil finish, peghed tuners, K&K twin spot pickup, and some personal bling reflecting the only two full-time jobs I've ever had in my life.

uke_2.jpg

I've just tuned it after the trip from the West Coast, and I'm giving the strings a chance to stretch.

So far, I can say only three things about it:

1) It sounds sweet.

2) Oh yeah, it has volume!

and 3)uke_3.jpg
It's MINE, I tell You! MINE! MINE!
BWA-Ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!!

Sound samples coming later in the week.

-Kurt​

Hi, Kurt,

That second picture of you made me LOL. Congrats on the new uke. How does it sound? Gonna post a video? and most important of all (but not to derail thread)...

when ya coming back to San Jose for a visit?!!

Congrats Kurt...Woo Hoo

It is an amazing uke..and I love the design and badges....wow wow with the side offset soundhole, the top resonates like amazing crazy...it's the only way to go...
Brad I want one too Please, glad to see you are still pumping out these ukes and they sound great, I played one thats why :)
Happy Strummings...

Last edited:
That's awesome! Congratulations, Kurt.

Also good to see Brad's new work.

Congratulations on your new uke day! Looks great!

Just wow! Congrats on your awesome NUD and that BEAUTIFUL new Donaldson!!!

View attachment 55961
It's MINE, I tell You! MINE! MINE!
BWA-Ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!!

Sound samples coming later in the week.

-Kurt​

Haha, I am so happy for you, you have been waiting so long! Congrats and enjoy it, and I am glad the Ameritage case worked for it. :)

Congrats Kurt. I'm sure that it sounds sweet! And nice to see that it has a nice case to call home.

Hi, Kurt,

That second picture of you made me LOL. Congrats on the new uke. How does it sound? Gonna post a video? and most important of all (but not to derail thread)...

when ya coming back to San Jose for a visit?!!

Not sure when we'll be back next, but we're going to try and make it in early September. We're supposed to attend a wedding in Las Vegas over Labor Day Weekend. (The kids are getting married a week before separate deployments for Uncle Sam...) If we can afford to go to the wedding, we'll tack on a week or so in Los Gatos.

-Kurt​

A classy uke for a classy guy. Congrats, Kurt! I'll just be over here, patiently waiting for that beauty's first Seasons vid.

Not sure when we'll be back next, but we're going to try and make it in early September. We're supposed to attend a wedding in Las Vegas over Labor Day Weekend. (The kids are getting married a week before separate deployments for Uncle Sam...) If we can afford to go to the wedding, we'll tack on a week or so in Los Gatos.

-Kurt​

Plan it so you can take in the Wine Country Uke Festival:)

And congratulations on the new ukulele. Can't wait to hear it.

Congrats on the new uke. Looks beautiful - enjoy! I can't quite make them out - what are the badges?

Congrats on the new uke. Looks beautiful - enjoy! I can't quite make them out - what are the badges?

I haven't done any close-up photos yet, but on the head stock, and the last fret are the three crossed trumpets, or "speaking horns" that symbolize the rank of Deputy Fire Chief - in some departments, that is an Assistant Chief, but mine wasn't one of them. The first fret has a pewter pin showing a stylized plume of steam rising from a coffee cup. That's a Starbucks pin.

I retired 9 years ago from the fire department, and have been with Starbucks for 7 years. So there is my "bling".

-Kurt​

Top Bottom